I am so nervous

Missy86

Family complete
Reaction score
about seeing my consultant next month

I will be having a c section and nothing is going change my mind but I am dreading coming up against a pro VBAC consultant.

The thing that has really annoyed me is that on my notes from Rhys's birth it says reason for c section was my failure to progress but the reason for this was he was to big which is not noted. I have read some things that say if the reason was failure to progress a VBAC is recommended.

It was not an easy c section by any means as he was very low down and the surgeon spent ages pulling him out which my oh tells me was quite upsetting.

And it was not an easy choice for me to make as the spinal they did caused damage to my foot which meant I couldnt walk properly for a few months (I felt them nick the nerve as they went in)

But I still feel this is the best choice of birth for me, so I hope my wishes can be respected

Sorry for the ramble

I had to FIGHT FOR a VBAC (I'm in the US and its not really a favorable option here). I found the ONE doctor in all of south florida that would let me attempt it - but she told me failure to progress is one of the LEAST FAVORABLE reasons to try a vbac. (My 1st born was ftp). She let me try anyhow - but 18 hours after my water broke, and 18 hours of intense contractions, I finally gave in and let them do the c-section.

So - I'm not sure if you are mistaken, or the info is different there, but FTP is NOT a good reason to attempt a VBAC. My doctor told me that most of the time, if you are FTP one time, you most likely will be the next time as well....

Anyhow - I hope you are able to get what you want! Good Luck!

Thanks Logans Mama, I hope I have got it wrong

Failure to progress is actually more a failure to wait on part of the hospital team where no other factors are present necessitating a section. The US is entirely pro section where one has previously taken place. To the OP if a section is what you want because you had one previously you have an easier battle to fight than someone who has never had one previously.

They had to get him out really as it was 26 hours since my waters broke

The never tried forceps or anything so I believe they knew he was to big

Unless they have x-ray vision they can't possibly know he was 'too big', even scans are inaccurate at that stage. Your body does not make a 'too big' baby except where other issues have been identified. Your notes clearly omit the big baby for that reason.

Sorry but I can't say I agree that your body doesn't "make" too big babies. That can certainly happen in absence of other factors that commonly lead to a large baby. In the end, the OP's concern is being allowed the birth she wants and not to dissect her previous delivery.

To the OP, I doubt you're going to have a hard time getting your c-section especially since you already had one before. You have to be your own advocate in most situations regarding medical care and you just have to be firm in your decision. All too often women's choices for their birth and then care of the baby are subject to judgement so it is so important that you feel confident in your decisions!!

Just tell the consultant that your mind is made up--that's it. If she tries to convince you, tell her no.

Unless they have x-ray vision they can't possibly know he was 'too big', even scans are inaccurate at that stage. Your body does not make a 'too big' baby except where other issues have been identified. Your notes clearly omit the big baby for that reason.

I am 4f 11 and he was 8lb 7oz so yeah he was to big, you do know you are on the c section part of the forum why come on here if you dislike the idea so much

I am 4f 11 and he was 8lb 7oz so yeah he was to big, you do know you are on the c section part of the forum why come on here if you dislike the idea so much

By that reasoning much of what is posted on other parts of this forum shouldn't be there, such as women who are still pregnant shouldn't venture into baby club, those who have had their babies shouldn't comment in pregnancy sections, etc etc. I had a section so I am in the right place, just don't like when incorrect information is exchanged by doctors to patients, you may be happy with your decision but I commented for the benefit of others who may feel pushed into a certain decision without real need.

So why do you thing they didnt mention forceps

I dont understand your point, people who are pregnant go in babyclub because it has useful info etc for them, you just came across as very anti c section

I didn't know correcting inaccuracies made me anti. I hope you get the birth you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->