I beat my induction date!!

holywoodmum

2 girls and one cooking
Reaction score
So, having reached 10 days overdue, I had a midwife appointment, where I discussed among other things, the option of decling my induction date for T+14... I asked her then if she'd be doing a sweep, and she said she was rather busy and had a habit of running behind schedule... but after peeking out the door, the next mum wasn't there yet, so she said, why not!

The result of that was very similar to the previous week - 1-2cm dilated, soft but uneffaced, and still posterior - although she did say it was easier to reach than last time, and she could feel baby's head.

Of I waddled to collect DD and we went swimming as we'd arranged. I started getting period type pains while we were in the water, but as the same had happened the previous week I thought nothing of it. The cramps continued all day, accompanied by the feeling of 'needing a poo'...

I stayed up quite late that night copying some DVDs, so headed to bed at 11.30pm. I know pregnancy makes you pee a lot, but that night I was up hourly to pee, or at least I thought that was why I was waking up, perhaps in hindsight some contractions might explain what woke me!

By about 6am I noticed that I was getting mild pains when I moved around in bed, so I just tryed to ignore that and carry on dozing. DH got up with DD some time around 7, and I said I was going to stay in bed a while longer... at this stage I realised that I was having pains even when I wasn't moving!

I found a contraction timer website on my phone, and lay in bed for about 25 mins timing these pains, and was quite surprised to discover they were coming every 3-5 mins, and lasting 45 seconds. But it was still nothing more than uncomfortable, so I pretty much ignored it (but went on timing). Then the only 'mistake' of the day - I sent DH to work... he works an hour away, and car shares, mercifully I told him to drive himself as I'd already decided that even if this was nothing I'd be cancelling our plans to meet friends at the playpark as I was so tired.

DD and I chilled in the living room, me under a duvet, her watching interminable episodes of Charlie and Lola (7 in a row?!). About 9am took some cocodamol and thought I'd give the hospital a call to see when they advised going in... as soon as they heard I was having 3 contractions in 10 minutes and they were lasting 45 seconds they told me to go straight away! Called DH, called my mum, and continued to snuggle under the quilt.

DH got home about 10am, mum was looking after DD and I was in the shower. We packed ourselves up, said our goodbyes, and head to the hospital, arriving about 11am. During the 10 minute drive I had 3 contractions in the car and another on the way in to the maternity unit! I was seen straight away, very quiet luckily, and offered gas and air, which I declined as I didn't want anything when I was still convinced they were going to send me home again (plus I didn't enjoy it when in labour with DD)... As it was I was examined at 11.30am and I was already 5cm dilated!!

By midday I was in my room in the midwife led unit, happily bouncing on the ball and sucking on the gas and air - it really did help when I got the hang of it. Also had DH rubbing my back through contractions... My MW Suzanne was in and out and did BP etc, but mostly DH and I were left to our own devices. She filled the pool for me but wanted me to stay on the ball for as long as possible as baby's head was still high. We watched a lot of Top Gear! Lunch was fairly grim, but they had a kitchen for us to use, with bread, pancakes, biscuits, tea, coffee, juice, yogurts, fruit, cheese all freely available, so we didn't go hungry!

The midwife at some stage told me that because of my underactive thyroid I technically wasn't 'allowed' in the MW led unit, but she spoke to labour ward, and all were happy for me to stay where I was as I'd had a complication free pregnancy - I was a bit put out really, as I'd asked everyone I could if the thyroid thing would be a problem - docs and MWs all told me it was fine - and it was in the end!

She did advise that due to baby's size and an old scar from DD's delivery that they'd rather I delivered on land, not in the pool. I figured that was fair enough...

At about 1pm I noticed that things were starting to get sorer, and it was harder to get through the contraction... I got the timing app up on DHs phone and discovered they were now 2-3 mins apart and lasting a minute... at 1.15 DH and I decided that if I was still not coping by half past then I'd ask to get in the pool. The MW came in at 1.20, and said pretty much the same thing.

Got up to go to the loo at 1.35, and when I sat down, my waters went! Pain increased quickly then! I got DH to press the buzzer as there was a slight concern over cord prolapse due to high head, but mostly because I wanted the gas moved in to the bathroom!

Two MWs came in then, and I eventually got back to the bed, but I just wasn't coping, and became rather irrational. She wanted me on my back to examine me again, but I couldn't make myself move, I started wittering on about being one of those useless mums on 'One Born Every Minute' who can't do what the MW asks them to do! Every contraction now I was on my sad clutching the bed, and clutching DH, being remind to breathe, and writing in agony. Then there was a sudden 'release' and a huge gush of fluid - still not sure if that was waters or wee, but either way the relief was amazing! But I suddenly felt the need to push!! She said she HAD to examine me, and eventualy that was done very quickly, and I was ready to push!

At this stage they told me no gas and air - I was bereft! Still not sure why... All the 'usual' comments from me - am I pooing, I can't do it, I want to go home etc...

Then baby's heart rate slowed right down - even I could tell through the fug of pain that it wasn't right. It picked up again, and MW said she needed to be sure something was happening when I pushed, otherwise I'd be rushed up to labour ward... as it was it was OK.

So, pushing and ranting, and then head was delivered, exquisite pain really, so intense, and this time I took up their offer to feel the baby's head, but I couldn't even really recognise it as that! When DD was born the next contraction came really fast, and her body was delivered almost straight away. This time round it felt like an eternity. I felt the baby change positions in the birth canal twice before another contraction came - after they'd been so thick and fast I couldn't believe I was waiting so long!

Baby was born on the next push though, bang on 2pm, delivered up on to my tummy. DH told me we had another daughter, and he cut the cord. And after all that, another giant woosh and the rest of my waters went - in a quite impressive flood across the floor! The pushing stage lasted a mere 12 minutes, I wonder if the raspberry leaf tea helped after all? And the placenta, which seemed to be taking an eternity was out in 15 minutes.

DH and I were given time to ourselves for cuddles, and Bridget had her first feed. While that was going on, I had a single stitch (on the old scar tissue)! She was then weighed at an impressive 5.010kg, or in old money 11lb 0.5oz... she was the same length as her sister but nearly 2lb heavier!

After all that daddy got lovely cuddle time while I wallowed in the birth pool for a bath afterwards!

WOW! actually in tears! Such a wonderful birth story hun! You should be incredibly proud of yourself! hope I manage so well!
Your little one is just adorable!

Well done you hun x x

well done on your birth! What a big girl she was. Congrats and hope everyone is settling well into family life.

Wow - well done :hugs: See what your body did! A gorgeous baby girl! How was the first cuddle with both of your girls?

Aww hun thats a great story thanks so much for posting! Such a big girl eh? Congratulations xxxx

the first cuddle was great although suddenly C is giant!! had to ask my mum to check who's hand was on bridget's tummy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->