I can't choose :( Please help. . .

Ouverture

Reaction score
I'm at a crossroads right now, and thought that you lovely ladies in the HMB board could help.

I am 100% on board with a natural birth - and being in the U.S., the statistics regarding interventions really really frighten me. Ideally, I want a waterbirth, but again, in the U.S., that's hard to come by.

This is our first baby, and I'm having a healthy pregnancy. I'm currently seeing an OB and a doula. . .this OB was referred to my by the doula, a good friend of mine, who had a WONDERFUL natural birth in the hospital. No medications, her husband caught the baby and the doctor just watched over. To be quite honest, I LOVE this OB, she's warm, friendly, and fully supports natural birth - she does not believe in excessive interventions and I feel like I've hit a gold mine in finding her.

Alternatively, I have the option to see a midwife at the only free-standing birth center in my area, which also happens to be the ONLY place I would also be allowed to deliver in the water. They have three cozy birthing suites with beds, tubs, squat bars. . .and deliveries are all done naturally. BUT, if any complications arise, I'll be transferred to the hospital with whatever doctor (definitely not my current OB) is on staff at the time, the midwife would not be allowed to stay with me.

Do I go with the OB that I know I trust and pray that she's going to be on call when I go into labor for a natural hospital delivery (FYI, the hospital won't allow a waterbirth. . .you can labor in the tub, but you cannot deliver there). . .or do I go to the birth center, where I can give birth in the tub, will be released 6 hours after delivery, and where I will be encouraged to eat and drink, but may risk being transferred and definitely put in the exact situation I'm hoping to avoid?

I so wish the U.S. was more open to natural birthing :( What would you do? ? ?

After reading you story, IMO, I would 100% do the birthing centre. The place you birth and the way you birth is so much more important than who is there to deliver you baby. And as you say that OB might not even be on that night and then where would you be?! You mention having to transfer from the birthing centre if anything goes wrong and then you'd be in the same position you're avoiding, but the truth is if those problems were going to arise the would arise in the centre or in the hospital and the same out come would have to happen no matter where you were. Does that make sense? Your OB can only do so much to encourage natural delivery but if a real problem arises that needs real medical attention she'll have to do the same thing any other doctor would do after you transfer from the birthing centre.

At the centre, with the water and the better environment your going to find that your % of having the natural birth you want will increase dramatically than if you had to do it in the hospital. I know in the end it's your decision but I would most definitely choose the centre.

If I read you right you cant guarantee the great OB will be there when you labour anyway....am I correct? So you are gambling on that anyway. What if she's not there? You get NONE of what you want if I read this right. You could get a OB you're not as happy with and you'll have forfeited your chance to labour or birth in water too. At least with the Birth Centre you get more guarantees of what you DO want and by being there you lower risk of intervention and complications. Your doula would be there to encourage the MWs etc to give you the time and space to birth without time pressures. And in the unlikely event you need to transfer then you are no worse off - you still take the gamble on the OB at the other end.....

That's how I read it anyway! Sorry if I got it wrong!! :lol:

Thank you thank you thank you both ladies! ! ! ! ! ! You are so right-'WHERE' I chose to deliver is so much more important than with WHOM. . .I think I just needed a little backing up in what I was really thinking, that being go with the birth center.

I know me. . .and I'm afraid that in a hospital I won't be relaxed enough to have a good birth experience. . .I'm increasing my chances of a natural, happy delivery by choosing a place (the birth center) that supports it with everything they have, and not just because it's in your birth plan.

I really appreciate your feedback - sometimes it really helps to hear it from somebody else and not the broken record in your brain, lol!

Sometimes "accidental" waterbirths happen in hospitals in which they are not permitted ----wink wink nudge nudge ---

I agree with everyone else, it seems like the birth center is the best option. I mean if there is a reason for transfer it probably will not affect the outcome if the OB is there or not.
I hope you have a wonderful birth whatever you choose!

Sometimes "accidental" waterbirths happen in hospitals in which they are not permitted ----wink wink nudge nudge ---

I was TOTALLY imagining that in my head. . .LOL! 'oooopsie. . .not sure what happened there. . .hehehehe. . .'

Exactly! It happends :winkwink: As do 3rd stages in the pool - they often like you out but sometimes women are so comfy in there that oooops...the placenta is born!

And if they try to pull the plug when your in there just growl and lunge forward as if to bite them. You'll be in labour, so it's the only time you'll ever be able to pull off such behaviour and maintain dignity! lol

I've heard pulling the plug is a scare tactic, that if they actually did that when you said no they would be in HUGE trouble for neglect.

I like the biting tactic!! I imagine you're right though Jen :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->