I hate my HV

MrsRNI

mum of 1 and pg#2
Reaction score
Just back from seeing my health visitor and i def dont like her. Everytime i go olivia seems to weigh less than what i've weighted her at i and use 2 different scales, plus shes grown out of her clothes but the HV still says shes small. She has now referred me to a dietian even tho the hospital think shes doing fine.

Olivia has 3 meals a day of 100g + she also eats of mine and husbands plate she loves sauages lol. can anyone else give me some recipes that will help her to put on weigh, plus any info if you have had thses problems also.

Thanks

Grrr, I hate HVs too!

What weight is she? Gaby is just about 14lb so still pretty little, hospital arn't concerned though.

Your her Mummy, you know best. As she is eating all that sounds okay to me! How much milk is she taking?

My hv is the same, we went to see a dietican (who is lovely) and she has given some really helpful advice the main one being putting butter in harry's meals! works a treat and he put on 7 ounzes last week!

They are always telling me harry is very small for his age (6 and a half months ) but then i have to remind then that he is a 24 weeker!!!!

HVs often dont have a clue about preemies, we too have been reffered to a dietician who we are yet to see, but a friend explained our issues to her preemies dietician,who just laughed and said of course it will take time!!

Dont panic, the lack of knowledge out there is outrageously bad!

when i weigh her shes about 13lb 40z but hv scales are saying shes oly 12lb so dont know how theres such a dif. As for bottles shes on 5x6oz a day so more than what they say hey shud b. Thing will start putting butter into her food as you said bob2331 hopefully will help.

Thanks for all your help

We have seen the dietician recently, again the advise was to try to fortify foods at home with butter, grated cheese, double cream etc. Try to give some carbohydrates such as mashed potato made with butter. I found the Plum fromage frais are nearly 98 kcals per pot, much more that the 46 kcals in a small petit filous. Also chocolate desserts such as milky bar desserts (found with the fromage frais in the supermarket) and the little kids Diary Milk chocolate bars can help. (It's kind of ironic that I shove chocolate in him when his sister didn't get her first taste of 'bad' foods until she was much older!!!)

We did prescribed high calorie formula which is 100 kcal/100ml. Connor is 14lb 9oz at 13 months.

Thanks Fiestagal think will def try those suggestions, She loves chocolate is always trying to steal it from my niece when shes down lol. Do you melt the butter in when cooking or wait til ready then mix it in, shes having stew later so will try her with the butter. Its hard to believe that we're being told to give our babies this stuff already.

I melt it or add it in and let the warmth of the meal melt it, the same with grated cheddar cheese. I never let my daughter have chips or chocolate until she was nearly 2 and now we give Connor some of our McDonalds - :shock:

(He likes ice cream too).

HI my lo wasn't prem but was 4lb 7oz at birth but doesn't put weight on was on NP2 until 6months then SMA high energy which has 91Kcal per 100mls. He is now 13months old and weighs 15lb 7oz so still quite small. He has 3 bottles a day around 12-15oz milk a day and 3meals a day which he is not eating well at the moment.

HVs are not too bad cos they know him well and know how active he is however he hasn't put any weight on for a couple of months so gp has refered him to see a dietition which will hopefully help (FINGERS CROSSED!!)

Our dietitian recommended butter, cheese & full-fat cream mixed into foods, plus cheese and crisps (quavers or wotsits) as a handheld snack.

She also put Andrew onto a supplement that we mix into his milk, to try and get more calories into him, but I think it's given him a dicky tum and nappy rash so I've stopped that for the moment.

fiestagirl thanks for the advice olivia loves the milky bar desserts she cant get enough of it

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->