I have to wean my son

too_scared

Finn's mommy <3
Reaction score
I'm in complete shock and am still processing what's happened today.

I have complete placenta previa and I am 20 weeks tomorrow. I had/am having a small bleed today. That alone is enough to deal with, with the complete bed rest here in the hospital after a 2 hour ambulance ride to another town. And now I'm away from my son for the first night ever. And I was just told by the doctor that I have to wean him within the month. She said since I have complete previa and a bleed the risk is too high.

It's been a rough day. Dh and kiddo are here in town with me but are sleeping at my in law's house. Kiddo is not allowed to sleep in here with me.

Any advice on gentle weaning? I don't have any more milk really, but he does nurse for comfort. Usually only 3-4 times in a 24 hour period. But he really depends on it for sleep.

I'm so very sad.

So sorry you are going through this. :hugs:

For weaning your son, I would just explain it to him in a way he can understand. Maybe tell him your boobies are hurt or broken (I know some people put bandaids on the nipples to show the child). If you want to do it more gradually, maybe at some times during the day, tell him that your breasts are sleeping (I had a friend who stuffed a tiny teddy bear in her bra to show her daughter)
I would probably avoid getting the new baby mixed into the explanation to avoid resentment.

Is there anything else you could offer for comfort?
Maybe a new plush toy to give him comfort for when mommy can't?

Thank you.

We have already been cutting back because I don't have any milk left. It's just those times when he really needs the comfort that are going to be really hard. Especially since I can't pick him up now either.

Things are just changing so fast right now that I am having a really hard time keeping up.

I'll have a look for something to offer for comfort. He isn't one for any comfort thing but we'll have to find something.

Thank you.

We have already been cutting back because I don't have any milk left. It's just those times when he really needs the comfort that are going to be really hard. Especially since I can't pick him up now either.

Things are just changing so fast right now that I am having a really hard time keeping up.

I'll have a look for something to offer for comfort. He isn't one for any comfort thing but we'll have to find something.

You might have to show him that a stuffed animal is a source of comfort. Not all kids do it automatically. For example, you could show him that you fill the toy with your kisses and hugs before giving it to him, and tell him that when he holds it close, it's like mommy is giving him hugs and kisses.

Is there also anything his dad can do for comfort? Maybe introduce something new for him (songs? stories? snuggle time?)

Thank you. That's a great idea.

Dh is wonderful with the kiddo. He's just not me. I know they'll work it out and it'll be good but it is so sad that I have to do it at all.

Thank you again.

I don't have any advice just wanted to send you :hugs: I can only imagine how difficult it must be for you as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->