I made a big mistake with feeding PLEASE HELP

misterno

Reaction score
I misunderstood my doctor and was feeding my son with the wrong mix

I have Similac Advance and now as of yesterday, I understood that it has to be 1 scoop of powder mixed with 2oz of water

But I misunderstood the doctor and did not read the instructions on the can and was mixing 1 scoop with 2 scoops of water

When I compared both amounts of water next to each other I realized that 2 scoops of water is exactly half of 2oz

This means I have been feeding him with less water or more powder?

As of yesterday, I immediately switched to correct mix but now what damage have I done?

My child is healthy ever with no problems whatso ever. Routine controls and doctors comments are telling me everything is fine but still wanted to ask you guys?

Anyone care to comment?

How long were you doing that? If baby seems ok I wouldn't worry now that you're doing it correctly. Having too much powder could make him a bit constipated in the short run but doing it for a long, long time could (I believe) cause a mineral imbalance/dehydration that affects the kidneys.

I honestly wouldn't worry if he seems ok and you have corrected it now.

Just for 3 months

And during this time it was 50/50 breast feeding and similac anyway

Thanks for your positive comments

Anybody else care to comment?

I think your little one will be fine, especially if you haven't noticed any side effects by now :flower:

Well thanks, he is fine

But then there might be more than what the eye can see

Anybody else care to comment?

Especially if he was also breastfed, I'm sure he is just fine, inside and out. The breastmilk will have provided him with the extra water he needed.

sounds like you were using less water, more formula, but ultimately the correct amount of formula. In other words the water to formula ratio was off, as you now know. I'm sure he's fine. I would think the right amount of formula is better than too much....

Things happen momma

Aw - I'm sure your little one is fine. It can seem quite scary; especially when you hear of how bad it can be to alternate the formula to water ratio BUT your wee one was also breastfed, so would have still got a good amount of water through his wee system which exclusively f/f babies don't always get and that's the main thing. If there were any effects - you would know :) You'd have a screamy grumpy baby who had a sore belly; if he's happy enough and pooping regularly then I'd say your wee one is fine :) You may just notice bubs a bit hungrier or wanting to be fed more regularly - with the change in measurement as the smaller amount of water with the same amount of formula would've been more filling and wouldve taken longer to digest :). But even then, that's not a common thing; more just depends on the baby hahaa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->