I think I have mastitis?

mummytobe_93

Reaction score
I know mastitis is usually painful in one breast but I've got two painful breasts. One is much worse though it feels lumpy and is very painful, I've tried to keep on emptying my breasts with a pump but it's not helping. These symptoms started yesterday and now I feel really unwell, hot and cold, Achey, flu like symptoms and am feeling very faint.

Could this be mastitis? Should I call out of hours docs or can it wait until tomorrow (however my drs never have appointments!)

I would definitely do something about it today. I've only had it once, and my doc suggested I try to wait it out for 24 hours before starting antibiotics. I made it 8 hours before sending hubby in to get me the meds. 8 hours after that, I felt fine.

In the meantime, use heat packs to help with let down, and massaging the painful duct in the direction of the nipple while you pump or nurse.

Usually it is only in one breast, but it could still occur in both I suppose. Another possible cause for the pain would be thrush, but that wouldn't really explain your other symptoms.

I hope you fan see someone today and start feeling better soon!

There are a few things you can do. Feed as much as possible, after feeds, express. Even if you're not getting anything out. Try warmth against boobs. Make sure that there's nothing pressing against your chest like a tight bra, esp an under wired bra.

Also gentle massage towards the nipple area can help the flow of milk.

And try & get as much rest as possible. Sometimes doing this can unblock the affected duct without needing antibiotics. Most important thing is to drain the boobs as much as poss tho. Hope it gets better soon.

It could be a plugged duct, which can turn into a mastitis. I had it when I was weaning my oldest. it will hurt, but what worked for me was to massage the breast and push hard on the lump to unplug the duct. it took some time but when it worked I was able to get rid of the milk that was stuck and felt soooooo much better. I did it in the shower, as I found it helped with the pain and made me more relaxed.

If you've got flu symptoms it's probably safe to say it's turned into mastitis already. I'd see a doctor as soon as you can!

Hope you feel better soon. :)

If you've got flu symptoms it's probably safe to say it's turned into mastitis already. I'd see a doctor as soon as you can!

Hope you feel better soon. :)

Yeah I also had flu-like symptoms, but unplugging the duct made everything go away and didn`t need a doctor after all, which was nice.

It can be remedied without antibiotics in some cases, but I'm in the 'better safe than sorry' camp on this one. I tried the "fix it on my own" approach and ended up getting so ill that I couldn't walk myself the 20ft from the car to the clinic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->