toast with baby puree
toast with butter
baby rice cake,
baby biscotti choc
choc biscuits
wotsits
skips
cooked broccollli or carrot sticks

only the top and bottom listed above is really acceptable in good childhood nutrition.

what can I offer thats just as quick and easy as all the others in between the top and bottom options?

Fruit? what and how?
ceral? what and how?
soooooooooo confused right now.. dont wanna grow an obese child. I was morbidly obese.. and if he has inherited my gene.. dont wanna encourage it! lol

Puzzled on ease for BLW!! :nope::blush::winkwink:

The easiest thing is to eat healthy foods yourself and offer him some too. Basically if you cook from scratch, you'll be ok. Basically there's very little you can't offer to a baby over 6 months.
Some of the things I share with Ruby that have gone down well are:

Sticks of roasted vegetables (butternut squash, courgette, sweet potato, normal potato)
Pasta dishes (recently she loved pasta bows with leeks and ham in a cheese sauce)
Omelette
Sweetcorn cakes
Roast dinner
Salad / fruit salad (I sometimes get those mixed packs of fruit from the supermarket)
Tinned fruit (just make sure it's in juice not syrup)
Cheese on toast, sometimes with tomato on as well
Bread with 100% fruit spread ( you could use bought puree but that's way more expensive)
Bread dipped in home made soup, made with veg and a baby stock cube (I was a bit shocked at the salt content of bought soup)
Cereals on a pre loaded spoon - she would take the spoon off me and feed herself

Anything really, things that can be picked up tend to go better with Ruby because she hasn't worked out how to 'scoop' sloppier foods up in her hands yet, but you can offer anything as long as it's not ready made food.

U can offer anything ur eating as long as its not full of alt/sugar.

Heres a rough guide to things we have each day:

breakfast: today we had porridge with mushed banana (i make porridge really thick so Kian can pick it up with his hands)
Yesterday we had grilled tomatoes and some scrambled egg
we've also done rice cakes or toast with fruit spread (u can buy some that has no sugar...i make my own tho)

Lunch: we usually have snacky things like veg/salad/ fruit cut up with something like a salmon fish finger (that was lunch yesterday) or we've also had cheese on toast, or little veg cakes (i made them with mixed veg and potato and molded them into burger shapes b4 oven cooking them)
He's also had a little triangle of tuna sandwich
and 2days's lunch is going to b pasta with tomato puree and some bits of choped veg

dinner: what ever we're having. We've done chilly and baked potato, butternut squash and sweet potato curry (i make the rice really soft so it sticks togther then he can pick it up) We've also had stew (i offer him a tiny but if sauce and some bread but mostly lumps of veg and meat from it- i make it with baby stock tho so its not salty)
roasted mixed veg (things like courgette, aubergine, peppers all roasted with no salt)

Every now and then he has things like farley's, goodies veg puffs, and other baby/toddler snacks but mostly i avoid those coz they actually contain quite a bit of salt/sugar

He's also had dried apricots (the wholefood ones that have nothing added) altho he mostly sucked those coz they're a bit tough to bite

theres a BLW recipe idea thread somewhere in this weaning forum that u might find useful

oh also i'd def recommend getting gill rapley's book coz that'll help with questions on what and how to offer things...i didn't fully 'get' BLW until i read that book.

Because LOs main sauce of nutriants is his milk it doesn't matter if he doesn't amnage to eat anything so don't worry if u offer something that looks hard to eat (like soup) the idea is that they experiment and 'have a go' then eventually they will learn how to eat it (i think frustration sometimes drives them)

i know its tempting to offer easy to eat foods but try a range of things and keep offering the things they find hard to handle so they get a chance to learn.

i have also always had weight issues and i didn't want Kian growing up with my issues with food which is y i decided to do BLW...its a great way to teach LO to have a healthy relationship with food! ur going down the perfect route 4 LO...don't worry :)

The easiest thing is to eat healthy foods yourself and offer him some too. Basically if you cook from scratch, you'll be ok. Basically there's very little you can't offer to a baby over 6 months.

Sticks of roasted vegetables (butternut squash, courgette, sweet potato, normal potato)
Pasta dishes (recently she loved pasta bows with leeks and ham in a cheese sauce)
Omelette
Sweetcorn cakes
Roast dinner
Salad / fruit salad (I sometimes get those mixed packs of fruit from the supermarket)
Bread with 100% fruit spread ( you could use bought puree but that's way more expensive)
Bread dipped in home made soup, made with veg and a baby stock cube (I was a bit shocked at the salt content of bought soup)
Cereals on a pre loaded spoon - she would take the spoon off me and feed herself

Anything really, things that can be picked up tend to go better with Ruby because she hasn't worked out how to 'scoop' sloppier foods up in her hands yet, but you can offer anything as long as it's not ready made food.

Hi Claire, When you say Ruby has had Roast dinner, what do you do just chop it up small and let her pick it up or semi puree it so its abit lumpy still? I will have to try my lo on a roast, but without blending it up to mush like i have been with most things.

Can't really add much to what the girls have already said. In the beginning we did lots of batons of baked and roast veg, basically cut things up so she could hold them easily in her fist.

Julie, when we're offering a roast dinner, we don't chop anything up small,Aisling literally gets a smaller version of what we get, in the same way. For things like yorkshire puddings etc, I'll cut it to the same size we would have but for potatoes and chicken etc we just leave her to pick it up and gnaw away at it :D

usually I just give g what we are having but for meals when we are easting separately I have a few standbys

Really easy (no cook) things I have offered include:
pears - cut big chunks (each pear makes about 6 pieces) I remove the core but leave the skin on or its too slippy.
mango - he seems to like this in slices
tomatoes - cut into slices about half a centimetre thick then cut each slice in half
fingers of cheese
Banana and avocado either as pieces or mashed on rice cakes
smoked salmon blended with cream cheese on rice cakes/toast
melon
pineapple
natural yoghurt

Minimal cook things include
Boiled asparagus
Porridge
Pasta with cheese spread (and tuna or leftover veggies)
stir fry courgette and pepper strips
crumpets

We offer lots of fruit, 2-3 different fruit a day.

Grapes cut in half
Apples cut into quarters and then cut in half (long ways) again
Bananas cut in half and then sliced down the middle (leaving 4 'long' slices)
Peaches, plums and necturines cut in quarters
Raspberries given whole
Pear slices (cut about 1cm slice across the width of the pear), cored and then cut in half to leave 2 semi-circles
I also want to try some blueberries next week!

She also has a lot of veg and salad.
Lettuce I either leave as one big leaf or cut it into strips
Cucumber, I'll cut a 3" piece of, cut in half (length) and then cut in half length ways again
Tomato I just cut in half
Spring onion given whole
Peppers I cut into little 'sticks'
She has carrot grated
White cabbage grated

For veg,
Parsnips given whole
Broccoli and cauliflower she has a floret of
She has baby carrots
Runner beans as they come
Peas as they come
I don't actually modify or cut any of her veg.

As for meat, I'll cut her big 'chunks' off and she'll just gnaw away as she pleases.

We also have pasta a lot, rice, mince.

And as for roast dinners, we do the same as Lu, give her the food as whole bits, not chopped up in anyway at all :thumbup:

Omelette
Sweetcorn cakes
Roast dinner

Hi Claire, When you say Ruby has had Roast dinner, what do you do just chop it up small and let her pick it up or semi puree it so its abit lumpy still? I will have to try my lo on a roast, but without blending it up to mush like i have been with most things.

We just cut it into manageable pieces - for Ruby that means cutting potatoes in half, leaving veg as is, meat is irrelevant as she doesn't like it :dohh:

cant wait til mylo is older and actually able to give him roast dinner pieces and stuff!
Today he had some of my omlette... no salt or pepper added.. had potaoes and cheese and ham in.. it was really tasty.. but he only managed to lick it and drop it all over the floor.. but looks like he had fun.

This morning i offered a heinz choc biscotti biscuit with come brekfast fruity yoghurt I made up.. and dippe a bit in and he enjoyed that.. once he got the taste of the yoghurt.. he was grabbing the spoon off me and managed to feed him 2-3 spoons of it so I was well please with that. He grabs my fork if I am eating too.. think he copys me so this morning i pretended to eat his brekfast and i tricked him into nicking that spoon! lol

Dont want to force feed him.. he started to run his head away afetr the third spoonfull so I gave up and let him continue to suck on the biscotti.
little steps.. but big changes x

when i gave jesse roast dinner yesterday,

i gave him yoskhire pudding cut in half,
carrots cut into sticks like how we have
runner beans just how they are,
a lump ofmash just put it on his tray
and some long chunky strips of pork,

were only early days so hes still having mostly chunky stuff at the moment, x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics