IBS for beginners?

Gemmamumof2

mummy of 2 ttc 3rd x
Reaction score
i know i sound silly but after blood test and endless of questions i been told i have irratable bowl syndrome.

the most annoying one is constant bloating!!

anyway i have a rubbish diet with no self restrictence.
is there anyone that manages stick to the no no foods?

i been adviced a form of antidepresent to take as my symptoms are bad and consistent but really want to avoid them as ttc.

hoping can change diet :wacko::wacko:

I'll be watching this thread too, I've suffered since I was a toddler :( so I know how restricting it can be socially too, and the spasms are something else when they come on, it's awful and other people find it hard to understand when you're out or at work and you have to keep running to the loo in agony.
As for the foods, I think different things trigger it in different people so it's a case of eliminating things and then watching for reactions when you reintroduce those foods again. I'm also not too good at doing that either.
I hope you find some relief soon x

i've had it sine i was 15... honestly my mum dragged me doctors demanding test as her daughter looked pregnant (thanks mum not believing me) LOL

i have the bad constipation and need to wee ALL the time but the bloating is most embarrasing theres times i wont leave house as i look pregnant and depressed about how i look!..

i found a great site and now know how and what to eat and what not to eat, its just going to be a struggle like being on a diet. need all help i can get :(

chocolate and tea are going to be the hardest but heard processed foods a no go either. but if my confidence goes up and symptoms minimise going to be worth it :) x

Hi gemma. I have suffered for yrs and an rubbish sticking to no no foods! I took amitriptyline which dies help. Xx

Hi, just wondering, was a blood test the only test you received? That's a bit unusual, as IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion- they must rule out everything else first, as it's undetectable, typical! Blood tests will rule out gluten intolerance, which can have the same symptoms, but not a whole lot else. Did you have a colonoscopy, no? Usually they're done to rule out Crohn's disease and Ulcerative Colitis, which can share symptoms with IBS. I had blood tests, gastroscopy, colonoscopy and a capsule endoscopy (camera in a tablet!!). I would recommend asking your GP to refer you for one, just in case. It's a bit odd to make a conclusive diagnosis without one!

I get such bad bloating, it looks worse as I'm underweight so it can't hide anywhere! Permanently look 4 months pregnant. There are a few drugs that can help with symptoms, most of them have to be prescribed. Colpermin and peppermint oil are OTC, they can be helpful for cramps and spasm pain, and are natural. Buscopan, Spasmonal and Colofac (Mebeverine) are all prescription drugs, called anti-spasmadics and can be pretty effective at really dulling spasm spain and cramps. One doesn't work for me, one usually does, and the third might. They're a bit hit and miss, they all work in different ways. For constipatio you should introduce extra fibre or take a fibre supplement like Fibrogel (I think that's what it's called?) or Laxulose. Imogas can help with wind, and Motillium can help with stomach pain and fullness. Activated charcoal is supposed to be good too, didn't notice much difference myself.

Don't read up on potential triggers and exclude them from your own diet. That list is LONG! You should only exclude something if you know it affects you, or as part of an experiment to see if you feel better without it, not because its listed as a common trigger. It's quite an individual experience. Personally pasta affects me very badly so I avoid that, but usually anything can set it off, so it's difficult. Particularly since I'm underweight, I can't do those 2 week living off couscous diets than reintroducing a food each week (week 1 eggs, week 2 dairy, week 3 bread..etc.). Best of luck with it!

hi,
i'm not aware what needs to be done as not a doctor so never asked?!
i had a blood test done and im waiting for a hospital appointment to come through as they need to do a itolabable test and something else rubish with big words ~ but my doctor is one of the worse in general complained many of times.

so far its laughable:
went see doctor explained how i feel..
had to do this questionaire and tick symptoms i feel
was sent for blood tests
went ack to doctors

she then said shes almost 100% sure its IBS and to 'treat' it like ibs ut sadly nothing she can do for it just gave me a leaflet about it and foods to avoid and foods to eat then told me she refering me to hospital to have 'advance' test to rule out anything else theres chance it could be.

hi,
i'm not aware what needs to be done as not a doctor so never asked?!
i had a blood test done and im waiting for a hospital appointment to come through as they need to do a itolabable test and something else rubish with big words ~ but my doctor is one of the worse in general complained many of times.

so far its laughable:
went see doctor explained how i feel..
had to do this questionaire and tick symptoms i feel
was sent for blood tests
went ack to doctors

she then said shes almost 100% sure its IBS and to 'treat' it like ibs ut sadly nothing she can do for it just gave me a leaflet about it and foods to avoid and foods to eat then told me she refering me to hospital to have 'advance' test to rule out anything else theres chance it could be.

Oh right, thought they were leaving it at blood tests. Intolerance might be for gluten (wheat) which should show in blood tests though, if they look for it. That's good they're referring you to the hospital though, that's what should be done. A colonoscopy is what will more than likely be done, it sounds awful but it's not a big deal...it means they basically put a camera up your er..colon. You're under local anaesthetic though, it's really not bad. The thing is though you have to take a very strong laxative the day before, which is usually Klean-Prep, you have to drink litres of it. That's the worst part rather than the actual procedure, but really it's nothing to be scared of, it's just important to have done. I'd guarantee that's what the advanced test will turn out to be. The food thing, what sets someone off probably won't affect someone else- bread, pasta and alcohol are seen as common ones, but you might have no problem with them. Much better to see yourself about food, what's good for you etc. Hope it goes well!

thankyou ~ im overweight aswell so i look about 8 months pregnant 90% of time takes over mylife confidence as hit rock bottom :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->