If baby breach or transverse at 36 weeks, what happens next?

TrixieLox

Reaction score
I have a 36 week scan to check my little one's position as she's currently transverse (after being oblique for weeks).

What happens if she's still in an awkward position? Will I be offered the procedure where they actively try to move the baby around (would rather not go down this route, and will probably opt out though will do some research first).

At what point is a c-section mentioned (so when do they 'give up' checking her position and make a decision to go in via the sun roof!) and if so, when would the C-section usually take place (38 weeks)?

Thanks!

It would entirely depend on your doc/MW. It seems a lot of women are offered ECV (especially in the UK), here it seems the majority of women are scheduled C-Sections with a minority offered ECV. Try spinning babies website, they've got some great exercises, and most of them feel really good, too. When mine flipped transverse this week for about 36 hrs my MW wasn't the least bit concerned. It flipped back head don and now we're totally engaged. Hopefully to stay there... I still do some of the spinning babies exercises cause they feel SO good on my sore back!

Yes, they will probably offer you an ECV as anthrogirl above has said. You can accept or refuse this - it's your choice. If you refuse it, or if you have it and it doesn't work, then they'll schedule a c-section for 39 weeks. (A non-emergency c-section is much, much easier to recover from).

Or, try spinning babies and moxibustion (which has about 70% success rate).

xxx

I am going through all of this atm. If baby is still breech then they will offer you an ecv to try & move baby around, this will usually take place between 36-38 weeks (depending on your consultant). If you go for the ecv they will book you in & try for about 10 mins or so. If baby doesn't move (which mine didn't) they will book you in for a planned c-section at 39 weeks (they generally will not book a planned section before this time).

They will check baby before any planned section goes ahead just to make sure he/she is still in breech/transverse). If your waters break before your section & you are still in breech, they will perform an emergency section.

Mine was breech at 36 weeks and I vaguely remember doing strange excercices on my hands and knees to turn him! It worked anyway - he turned in his own

Thanks, girls! Really helpful. I definitely won't have an ECV so that'll be an interesting conversation if that's brought up. Hopefully the cheeky monkey will move!

We were offered ecv which i turned down, i did some research and wouldnt take the risk. My dr was fine with that so don't be afraid to say no if it's not completely
What you want. At 36wks we were told to come back at 37wks and to spend the week bouncing on the ball. Baby turned at 36+6!! I have a planned section anyway for other reasons but don't give up lo could still turn. Also even with a planned section they will scan you before hand so if baby has turned last minute they will cancel. That's what we were told by our dr (uk)!

i;m not sure how it works in the UK but here i've known people that had a breach baby up until the day they were supposed to go in for their csection and the baby flipped so its never too late for the baby to turn around

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->