If I make it to 34-36 weeks this time...

hopedance

Sam's mum and pregnant
Reaction score
How heavy will my baby be and how long will they need to be in SCBU for, if at all?

Saw my consultant on thurs, and she reckons that if I do end up with pre-e again, it will probably strike about a month later than last time, so about 30 or 31 weeks, but be less severe so they might be able to keep baby in until 35 weeks even!

Of course none of this might happen, but I'm wondering how much easier the journey will be with an 'older' preemie rather than a 30 weeker?

23 people have read and run with no comment at all? :(

I guess the weight depends on whether the PE causes them any growth restriction. I don't have personal experience of PE that early, but didn't want to read and run. My PE didn't become severe until term (I know how lucky I am). My daughter was born on 37 weeks and was 5lb 8oz. I was told she was smaller than expected as the PE had caused growth restriction. She was totally fine though. They tested her blood sugar for 24 hrs thinking her size might mean there'd b problems, but none at all. She had slight jaundice, but no treatment needed. Best of luck to you and hope it comes much later, but ideally not at all for you.

With my little girl born at 35w SCBU made sure she was feeding well, able to regulate her own temperature and breathing on her own. She was born 3lb 8oz. I had low Amniotic fluid and slow growth which they think was placental infarction.
The week before she was born they scanned me and 'guesstimated' her weight.

So I guess it depends what happens when little one is here. Good luck

I think the average for 35 weeks is 5lb. It will honestly all depend on your baby if they need any help or a stay in SCBU. Some babys need no help at all and go home after a day or two once they have shown they can maintain their blood sugars, their temp and they are feeding OK and others spend a week or two in special care.

My 6 year old was a 35 weeker from HELLP and pre-e, she was 6lb 10oz so pretty much looked like a term baby. She was in NICU for 10 days as she had breathing probs and severe jaundice. Shes perfectly healthy now tho:thumbup:

My little man was born at 33 +5 and he was 3 lbs 10 oz. I had IUGR though, so he had quit growing at 30 weeks. I think most other 33 weekers weigh more. He had to stay in the hospital for 22 days.

my twins were born at 34+1 and weighed 5lbs 13oz and 4lbs 7oz due to placental sharing issues. they stayed in the special care unit for 3 weeks, mainly for a little jaundice, to gain weight and make sure they could suck feed properly. other than that they were healthy.
good luck xxx

it all depends each baby is different, i had my little boy at 34 weeks and he weighed 5lb 20z which was a really good weight. he was in hospital for 9days because he only needed help wth his feeding once he could take 50mil of bottle he was aloud home. xx

My little boy was born at 33w+4 via emergency section due to HELLP syndrome. He was 5lb 8oz when he was born but he lost over 1lb, the drs said that his birth weight was boosted by the steroid injections having made him bloated.

We're now on day 18 and he's still in the Neonatal unit. This is because he's not feeding as well as he needs to be and he's not gaining enough weight, but the nurses have said many babies born at the same stage as Noah spend very little time in the NICU. Hopefully that'll be the case for you hon :hugs:

Ellie was born at 33 weeks and she was 4lbs 3oz and she dropped to 3lb by day 7 and was in for just under 7 weeks bu they thought that Ellie might have NEC so had to go very slow with the feeds, she was on 0.5ml every 2 hours or 5 days to start with and she had a very bad infection week one, like everyone is saying all babies and SCBU stays are diff xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->