Iffy Smelling Nappies?

Blue_bumpkin

Love My Little Monkey :)
Reaction score
My nappies are starting to smell a bit well iffy. I use soap nuts on a 40 degree wash mostly - 60 if pooey ones too - and they look and feel clean but smell. Some worse than others tbh and when LO has peed in them they realllllyyyyyyy stink. What could this be? I dont think I overfill the machine so maybe i dont use enough nuts?

how many does you use for say 8 dirty/wet nappies out of curiousity? I have tried using lavender but the smell remains :nope:

Any tips appreciated :flower:

For a load of about 12 nappies, plus boosters, wipes and bibs (which all go in together) I use 8 soapnut halves. I use the same ones for 4 loads then change. I wash at 50C, and I do a cold rinse before the main cycle. Lavender oil doesn't make any difference to the smell of mine either so I don't bother. I had an issue with a load of stinky nappies lately (they came out of the wash smelling not much better than when they went in) so I immediately did a strip wash with Ariel and many rinses, but on reflection I think the soapnuts I'd used were a) past their best and b) all clumped together, so water wasn't circulating round them in their muslin bag. I always make sure they are not old and they are able to move freely now. I did an experiment to see how much soapiness I got out of some old-ish soapnuts (I boiled them in a pan) and nothing happened, no bubbles, compared to when I added a new one, which fizzed and bubbled away like crazy. So I am vigilant now. :)

I'd try a strip wash and then start afresh from there? I had this problem a while back. I think I had old soapnuts too :)

have you checked you washing machine filter, im not an expert with soapnuts ive not used them tbh but i find if my washing is coming out a bit iffy then i need to clean the filter now i do it regularly to make sure

I started getting stinky nappies but now i use a bit of napisan in the wash they're nice and fresh x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->