I'm at a total loss

Reid

mom of 1
Reaction score
I really don't know how to deal with this effectively driving me absolutely mad.
My son is Mr outdoors he loves running round the garden going walks ect the problem is coming in the house it causes him to go into mega meltdown screaming sobbing and even throwing things and this can last 30 mins or so I can't think of anything to try
we've tried
distraction with things he enjoys bubbles bath favourite toy doesn't work he's to focused on getting back outside
Tried completely ignoring his tantrum the last time and that's when he started flinging things and I had to step in as it was putting him in danger
I've tried preparing him by saying it's time to go up the house as we walk along the street he understands where he's going as he gets upset and dose his upset sob
It's getting to the point I don't want to take him out cause I no what's coming when we go in it do matter how long I have him out long walk play in the park even a run round the garden after and he's been out for ages
When he's out as well his behaviour is fantastic he's so well behaved just this coming in the house any suggestions would be greatly appreciated xx

My son is exactly like this. I'm sorry I have no advice I just have to pick him up and drag him in :(

Have you tried a timer out in the garden? My son, when younger as he's not so bad now, had a traffic light timer. Green for go, so he can do his activity, orange for the activity is coming to an end (It makes a warning noise so he knows the activity was almost done) red for stop (lots more noise). Did it work straight away. No. It took us some time to get him use to it and what he had to do. For us it was and still is the computer. He'd spend all day on it, but we found the more we did and reward him for stopping once the red light was on it worked. We do reward with food though as we found he works best with that when younger. Now he wants to go out for the weekend, eg the park, library, shopping etc

Thanks ladies timers a good idea could even use my phone for count down.
We went out today now I had to really push myself to do it played in the garden went a long walk up the country stopped by great grampas to so as we were walking along the st he's doing his upset jibbirish talk (he's speech delayed ) so I gave him my phone he loves watching videos of himself on it and I picked him up so he wouldn't make a b line for the back garden not a peep out him like 2 different kids. I'll keep this going and see if he keeps it up I let him play on the phone for 30 mins or so as reward xx

I'd echo the timer suggestion, that has been a big help in most situations for us.

How does he do with music? I'm getting some good results with using a small (cheap) mp3 player and some colourful noise-limiting headphones to help my son to behave well on the walk home from school - it's a long walk. This has helped prevent a tantrum turning into a meltdown a few times if you get there quick, it's distracting, interesting and special.

Could be something he is only allowed inside?

Yeah he loves music most if the videos he watches on my phone are of him dancing about to music.
Never thought of a wee music player Thanks xx

I don't have any suggestions for this one really apart from just being really consistent and hopefully he will grow out of it :hugs:

My son was just the same as this, nothing worked for a long time even timers etc. I had a spate of carrying him inside kicking and screaming :( not nice.

In the end when we were coming to the door id remind him of a nice sweet id bought out or that he knew was inside. I first say 'arent you coming in to eat your biscuit' he'd say 'no' then i would say 'fine im off in to eat it if you dont want it'. It worked, hes a bribe me and im happy type kid though:)

sounds like the video on the phone is working a treat for you though :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->