I'm having a Natural Birth after two Epidurals

southerngal2

Reaction score
Ok ladies, I'm going for a natural birth after two previous epidurals.

I had horrible trouble with them and also my babies seemed to struggle during birth. I realize it's not the way I want to give birth this time.
It's also been a while for me! My daughters are 14 & 17 years old! :)

I'm going to deliver in a hospital, because there are no birthing centers that are close by and no midwives for a home birth.
I know it will be harder to do in a hospital than at home.

I could use all the support, tips, knowledge, etc, from all you ladies that have done it before!

I've read through lots of the threads on here and ordered two books that were recommended on a thread. One for me and one for my husband. I can't wait to get them and start reading.

HypnoBirthing: The Mongan Method 3rd edition by: Marie F. Mongan
The Birth Partner: Everything You Need to Know to Help a Woman Through Childbirth, Second Edition"
Penny Simkin

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :)

The best advice i can give you is to treat your hospital room like your home have your music, your own pillow a nice blanket, wear your own clothes or none, don't let them get you into a hospital gown unless absolutely required, write a full birth plan covering everything you can think of, make sure your birth partner knows exactly what you want so they can stand up for you if your not able. If you don't want drugs make it clear from the start that you don't want to even be offered them, try and get the examinations to a bare minimum. The most important thing for a natural labour is to try and be as relaxed as possible get your birth partner to learn some easy massage techniques stay as mobile as you can for as long as you can and remember even things start to need to be more medical due to fetal distress etc it is still your choice if you don't feel comfortable with something tell them and see if there are other options available to try first like a different birth position. Will be back to add some more later but the big kids just got home from school so need to sort snacks out :)

Find a Doula! A Doula can really help you out in the hospital. I also really like The Official Lamaze Guide (the blue book not the pink book). It's really comprehensive and it focuses more on the hospital. You could also read My Best Birth. I haven't read it yet, but I've heard it's good.

No Doulas around here. I've already checked. :(
I live in a small town in Louisiana, no one around here even knows what that is!

Thanks for the book recommendations. I will check those out!

Will you have a midwife you see through out your pregnancy? Don't be afraid to find the best one you can if you do. I know they can't deliver at home but my sister had a midwife on her insurance and she was there with her when she delivered. My sister needed at Epi in the end but would have been landed with a section if it wasn't for the amazingness of her midwife.

I don't have a midwife. I am using my OBGYN.
I haven't heard of anyone using a midwife around here.
Should I look for one? Would it be better than using my Dr?

I don't have a midwife. I am using my OBGYN.
I haven't heard of anyone using a midwife around here.
Should I look for one? Would it be better than using my Dr?

Well my sister had an OB as I think that's common practice (at least in the midwest/Ohio) but she also had a midwife that she saw mostly through out her pregnancy. I would look into it to see if your insurance would cover having one. Or even talk to your OB to see if she (he?) works with any midwives in her practice.

She's not home ATM but I will ask her about the details.

Getting your hubby to read The Birth Partner as he will be your 'doula' is a GREAT MOVE. It's a wonderful book and will help him to understand what is likely to happen and how he can protect your birth space.

Where in Louisiana are you? I can see if there are any doulas you've not managed to find via my contacts :)

Ok then....

This lady here on Facebook who you can add as she has lots of contacts in the natural birthing scene in LC and she said:

Faith Sumpter was my doula and she was AMAZING. She caught my baby because we didn't make it to the hospital. LOL. Another doula, Charisse Campbell (www.learn2birth.com), is a very good friend of mine, and Amber Caillouet is one of my La Leche League leaders and she's similarly wonderful. Really you can't go wrong with any of these three options. Just get in contact with all three and interview them to see who's going to be the best match for you and your birth partner.
Faith lives in Ragley. Charisse lives in Iowa. Amber lives in Sulphur. All do births all over the SWLA area.
I should mention that all three have Bradley method backgrounds. If you're more interested in a hypnobirthing background, there's someone in Crowley.

Faith Sumpter Birth Doula. Lake Charles, Louisiana area, but travel anywhere in the state 337-725-9023 or 337-513-9927 Email: [email protected]

And another link for you here > www.louisiananaturalbirth.com

There is also a new CPM in town named Becca Price-Wood. www.peakmidwifery.com - if you wants the opportunity to homebirth or talk to a midwife the lady who gave me the info above says that Becca's WONDERFUL. She didn't have her Louisiana license secured in time to do her birth, but she'll be doing them from now on.

https://www.peakmidwifery.com/

Oh my gosh Mervs Mum!
Thanks for all the information!

That's wonderful! I'm going check out the links right away!

One question. What is CPM?

She is a midwife. I thought it might be a local abbreviation as I admit I couldn't quite work it out myself!

Glad I could help. Add the girl on Facebook and she can hook you up with other local mums who may have been in your position.

My first was a hospital, epidural, forceps extravaganza and I was determined that my second who was born 14 yrs later would be different. She was born in a birth centre in a wonderful empowering natural birth. I enjoyed it so much I was pregnant 9 months later with their little brother who was born at home. I did it and you can do it too!!

So my husband is totally against a home birth. He is too scared that something will go wrong and the baby or I will be in danger.

I'm going to follow his wishes and not go for the home birth, still going for a natural birth.
So keep the tips coming! :)

Ask him this question: "Like what?" Because generally they can't think of a reason it's just been brain washed into their heads that birthing is a dangerous event.

It's like saying don't get into the car and drive just in case something happens. :thumbup:

I totally respect if you want to have your birth in hospital. Though if it's only because of the 'what if's' he should know that more is likely to go wrong in hospital due to rushed midwives, and interventions than at home with one on one care. Actually more like two on one care (two midwifes at a home birth) where they take full care of you. As well as feeling completely comfortable so your body progresses at the rate it should instead of slowing down once in hospital. The rate of postpartum infection in women who give birth in hospital is about 25%, compared to about 4% in homebirth mothers. Also issues such as PPH are actually less for women giving birth at home than in a hospital (2% vs 4%).

:flower:

He's just scared of the unknown I think.
But I love and respect him, so we will just move forward with the hospital birth.
I'm ok with a hospital birth as long as I can deliver naturally.

Just got my book in. HypnoBirthing: The Mongan Method 3rd edition by: Marie F. Mongan

Can't wait to get started reading it.

Also another question. I have heard that Yoga is good to do while pregnant. I heard that it helps during labor also. Does anyone know if this is true?

Any exercise is great.. esp low impact. like swimming and yoga. Yoga is really good for your core muscles, they are going to be doing all the hard work in labour. I think it is a great idea. Be careful not to over-stretch though - in pregnancy you are much more flexable due to hormone changes.. you don't want to do yourself an injury beforehand, by getting into the splits and showing off that you haven't been able to do that in years!!! lol ;-)
XxX
XxX

Any exercise is great.. esp low impact. like swimming and yoga. Yoga is really good for your core muscles, they are going to be doing all the hard work in labour. I think it is a great idea. Be careful not to over-stretch though - in pregnancy you are much more flexable due to hormone changes.. you don't want to do yourself an injury beforehand, by getting into the splits and showing off that you haven't been able to do that in years!!! lol ;-)
XxX
XxX

lol! I don't think I'll be doing any splits!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->