Important information for UK mums, especially sahms / those not getting mat pay

Amygdala

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I know it probably sounds naive to some but after 5 years of being a stay-at-home-mum/an unpaid student mum, I have just found out about national insurance credits. If you care for a child under 12 years of age but are not required to pay national insurance (typically because you don't have an income), you get national insurance credits towards your pension entitlement IF you claim child benefit (or are registered for it). So while it doesn't matter in practise which parent claims child benefit, if one of you is working and one isn't, it's important the stay-at-home parent claims in their name. You can also apply to have national insurance credits transferred in hindsight but it makes things more complicated.

Hi! just want to add onto your post!

https://www.entitledto.co.uk/

Above is a benifits checker for anyone in the uk, Its more or less the same as going to citizens advice, it asks you about your income and all the rest and you dont have to give in name, just general location, it will run through tax credits, housing benifits, income support and child benifits and tell you what you are entitled to!

Even working mums could be entitled to some help along the way so its a handy little link to know about!

I didn't know that! Thanks! Does it happen automatically with child benefit or do you have to apply separately?

If child benefit is in your name, it happens automatically. If it's in your partner's name, you have to apply to have the credits transferred.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->