in hosp since last nite, need advice????

Cajadaem

Reaction score
i'm hoping someone out there has info or advice to help my decision :wacko:
i have developed an incarcerated hernia in my belly button, known as belly button hernia o umbilical hernia.
it is not massive but extremely painful even to the slightest touch.
the docs here have explained the risks to a point but i have little understanding still the internet here is pretty useless, has taken half hour to even type this!
i am 34 weeks tomorrow and am scheduled for an operation under general anaesthetic tomorrow.
any advice would be great. i have been told that there is a high chance of recurrance during labour and birth :wacko:

I have just googled this hoping to cut and paste some info but cant really find much on it even with good internet, Sorry :-( hope all goes ok :)

never heard of this before but also did some googling and this is what i have found...i hope some of it helps! xx

Causes of umbilical hernia during pregnancy
Most umbilical hernias are congenital, meaning you have had the hernia since birth. The hernia may have been small or not caused any noticeable symptoms. Pregnancy or excessive weight gain can put stress on the defective or weak area of the abdominal wall causing the hernia to become more noticeable. Many adults have umbilical hernias that go unnoticed because the defect is so small that tissue can not pass through it. Once the hole gets large enough that tissue can pass through, the hernia can become painful and you may see bulging around the umbilical area.

Treatment of umbilical hernia during pregnancy
In most cases it is best to wait until you are no longer pregnant before attempting to repair an umbilical hernia. However, if an umbilical hernia becomes incarcerated, meaning that tissue remains trapped in the defective area and can’t be pushed back in, it will need to be repaired immediately. When a hernia becomes incarcerated the trapped tissue will not receive blood and will eventually die. An incarcerated hernia is generally painful and requires urgent surgical repair. As long as the umbilical hernia is not incarcerated, it is usually best to wait to have it repaired. If the hernia is bulging and uncomfortable, rest and gently massage the hernia until the bulging goes back in. If the umbilical hernia is painful or cannot be pushed back in seek immediate medical attention

The surgery is usually done as an outpatient procedure, under general anesthesia, and is a low-risk operation

i am 34 weeks pregnant and have a belly button hernia. My doctor is referring me for surgery but it will be after the baby is born. Does anyone know if this will help me get a c section?

11I'm suffering from a belly-button hernia and I'm 24 weeks pregnant. I'm in so much pain that i can hardly walk and sit, it also makes my back hurt. Sometimes all i want to do is stay in bed and not move because of it. The doctors keep telling me that they can't do anything until i have my baby.
Is there any kind of relief for this? i have been rubbing it gently for it to go back down but as soon as i get up I'm in pain again. please help.

Dont really know if that helps you, some people are saying the operation is low risk others are being told to wait until after the baby is born. It all depends on whether you are in enough pain to need it now. Have you asked the doctors about induction? xx

actually this seems more helpful....

Abdominal Hernia During Pregnancy
Text size: A A | Post a comment | Print This Article has been added to your favorites. View your profile Waiting image by Kristin Skipper from Fotolia.com
Abdominal Hernia During Pregnancy
Overview
During pregnancy, the pressure of the growing uterus can cause a hernia in the abdominal area. While rare, these hernias are of clinical importance because treating them requires consideration of both the mother's condition and the safety of the unborn baby. Thankfully, most pregnancy hernias don't cause complications or negatively affect the pregnancy.

Causes
During pregnancy, the increase in pressure within the abdomen can sometimes cause a piece of the intestines or other abdominal tissue to push through a weak spot or hole in the abdominal muscle wall. In some cases, a hole existed within the abdominal wall before pregnancy and the pressure from the growing uterus simply expanded that hole and pushed internal tissue through it. In other cases, the pregnancy itself causes the weakening of the abdominal muscle that led to the hernia.

Laser Eye Surgery 99.96% Achieve UK Driving Standards Unbeatable Results From UK's No 1 OpticalExpress.co.uk/Win_Laser
Sponsored Links
Symptoms
Women who develop an abdominal hernia during pregnancy will generally notice a small bulge in their abdomen that may become worse as the pregnancy progresses. In some women, this bulge is painless, while other women experience pain along with the visible bulge. The woman or her doctor may be able to gently push on the hernia back into the body.

Treatment
Pregnancy hernias may be treated using external manipulation or surgery. Surgery on an abdominal hernia can put the fetus at risk, and most abdominal hernias do not involve complications requiring immediate treatment, so most doctors will advise waiting until after delivery to have surgery. In cases where waiting is not an option, surgery between weeks 16 and 20 during the second trimester is considered safer than at any other time in pregnancy, explains Dr. Marjorie Greenfield. Laproscopic surgery, which uses small incisions and a thin flexible camera to guide the surgery, is often a better option than traditional surgery.

Complications
According to Merck Manuals, two conditions that may necessitate emergency surgery for an abdominal hernia include strangulation and incarceration of the hernia. In these conditions, a loop of the herniated portion of intestines becomes trapped, or incarcerated. Strangulation happens when the trapped area causes the blood supply to become cut off. These two conditions can become fatal if left untreated, and the risks of surgery during pregnancy are typically less than the risk of leaving the hernia untreated.

Prognosis
Without treatment, an abdominal hernia that develops during pregnancy will not resolve itself, even after the pressure is relieved during birth. Women with an abdominal hernia during pregnancy can generally still deliver the baby vaginally, explains University of Kentucky Healthcare

Read more: https://www.livestrong.com/article/199568-abdominal-hernia-during-pregnancy/#ixzz1N796zwtm

From Bupa website - https://www.bupa.co.uk/individuals/health-information/directory/u/umbilical-hernia

About umbilical hernia

An umbilical hernia can happen at any age but it's most common in babies. The belly button is a weak area in the muscle wall because it is the area through which blood vessels pass to feed the developing foetus in pregnancy. If this area of muscle wall fails to close completely when the baby is born, an umbilical hernia develops. The hernia usually improves in children by the age of four without needing treatment. However, some children may need an operation if it doesn't get better by the time they are of school age or if the hernia becomes large or causes discomfort.

Adults can also get an umbilical hernia, particularly women during and after pregnancy, and people who are overweight. The umbilical hernia occurs either because the weak area from childhood re-opens, or a new weakness develops nearby (called a paraumbilical hernia). An umbilical hernia isn't dangerous in itself, but more often in adults there is a risk that the bowel tissue (intestine) will get trapped within it. This can cut off the blood supply to the bowel or the loop of intestine trapped in the hernia and cause life-threatening conditions such as bowel obstruction, gangrene or peritonitis. If this happens, the hernia is said to be strangulated and you will need an emergency hernia repair operation.

What are the alternatives to surgery?

Surgery is the only effective treatment. The weakness in the muscle layer needs to be repaired. Without this, an umbilical hernia is likely to get larger and become more uncomfortable. There is a risk that it can cause serious complications if it's left untreated in adults. The risk of complications increases with the size of the hernia. Once an umbilical hernia has been diagnosed, your GP will usually recommend that you have it repaired.
Preparing for your operation

Your surgeon will explain how to prepare for your operation. For example, if you smoke you will be asked to stop, as smoking increases your risk of getting a chest and wound infection, which can slow your recovery.

An umbilical hernia repair is usually done as a day-case procedure under general anaesthesia. This means you will be asleep during the operation. Alternatively, you may prefer to have the surgery under local anaesthesia. This will completely block any feeling around your belly button area and you will stay awake during the operation. A sedative may be given with a local anaesthetic to help you relax. Your surgeon will advise which type of anaesthesia is most suitable for you.

What happens during umbilical hernia repair

The operation takes 20 to 50 minutes depending on the method used.

The aim of a hernia repair operation is to push the contents of the hernia back into the abdomen and repair the weak area in the muscle wall.

There are two main types of hernia repair operation - open and laparoscopic (keyhole). Keyhole surgery is generally recommended if the hernia has reoccurred after a previous operation.
Open surgery

A small cut is made just above or below your belly button, and the hernia is pushed back into place. The weak area within the muscle is stitched together and often a synthetic mesh is stitched over this to further strengthen the abdominal wall. The cut is closed with dissolvable stitches and covered with a dressing.
Keyhole surgery

Two or three small cuts are made towards the side of your abdomen. Your surgeon will insert a tube-like telescopic camera (laparoscope), so he or she can view your hernia on a monitor. The hernia is repaired using specially designed surgical instruments that are passed through the other cuts. A synthetic mesh is fixed to the under-surface of your abdominal muscles, to strengthen the abdominal wall. The cuts are closed with dissolvable stitches and covered with a dressing.
What to expect afterwards

If you have general anaesthesia, you may need to rest until the effects of the anaesthetic have passed. You may need pain relief to help with any discomfort as the anaesthesia wears off.

You will be able to go home when you feel ready. You will need to arrange for someone to drive you home. You should try to have a friend or relative stay with you for the first 24 hours.

A nurse will give you advice about caring for you healing wound. You may be given a date for a follow-up appointment.

Dissolvable stitches will usually disappear in about 10 days.
Recovering from umbilical hernia repair

You will need to take it easy in the first few days. You should be able to return to normal activities after about two weeks. Light exercise, such as walking, will help to speed up your recovery.

You should eat plenty of vegetables, fruit and high-fibre foods such as brown rice and wholemeal bread and pasta. This helps to prevent constipation, which can cause straining and discomfort.

You should be able to return to work once you feel able but if your work is strenuous and involves heavy lifting or puts a strain on your abdominal muscles, first seek advice from your doctor. Children should stay off school for a few days.
What are the risks?

Umbilical hernia repair is commonly performed and generally safe. However, in order to make an informed decision and give your consent, you need to be aware of the possible side-effects and the risk of complications.
Side-effects

Side-effects are the unwanted but mostly temporary effects you may get after having the procedure, for example feeling sick as a result of the general anaesthetic. You will have some pain, bruising and minor swelling in your lower abdomen. The side-effects are usually milder after key-hole surgery.
Complications

Complications are when problems occur during or after the operation. Most people are not affected. The possible complications of any operation include an unexpected reaction to the anaesthetic, excessive bleeding or infection. Complications may require further treatment such as returning to theatre to stop bleeding, or antibiotics to deal with an infection. Specific complications of an umbilical hernia repair include:

the umbilical hernia re-occurring

I'm so sorry hun, Hope everything goes well.. and you & baby is ok. x x

Sounds like it is serious to me as the original poster says the hernia is incarcerated and can't be pushed back, meaning whatever is pushing through could die through lack of blood flow if it's not fixed.

I agree with Clarina.....if it could wait the doctors would wait till after the baby is born. But pregnant women DO have surgery all the time and do just fine so I'm sure the doctors have viewed the risk vs. benefits. Please ask them to explain it all to you BEFORE the procedure.....this is their job!

https://www.justmommies.com/articles/umbilical-hernia-during-pregnancy.shtml

Causes of umbilical hernia during pregnancy

Most umbilical hernias are congenital, meaning you have had the hernia since birth. The hernia may have been small or not caused any noticeable symptoms. Pregnancy or excessive weight gain can put stress on the defective or weak area of the abdominal wall causing the hernia to become more noticeable. Many adults have umbilical hernias that go unnoticed because the defect is so small that tissue can not pass through it. Once the hole gets large enough that tissue can pass through, the hernia can become painful and you may see bulging around the umbilical area.

Treatment of umbilical hernia during pregnancy

In most cases it is best to wait until you are no longer pregnant before attempting to repair an umbilical hernia. However, if an umbilical hernia becomes incarcerated, meaning that tissue remains trapped in the defective area and can’t be pushed back in, it will need to be repaired immediately. When a hernia becomes incarcerated the trapped tissue will not receive blood and will eventually die. An incarcerated hernia is generally painful and requires urgent surgical repair. As long as the umbilical hernia is not incarcerated, it is usually best to wait to have it repaired. If the hernia is bulging and uncomfortable, rest and gently massage the hernia until the bulging goes back in. If the umbilical hernia is painful or cannot be pushed back in seek immediate medical attention.

I hope this helps you out honey!! Good luck darling! :hug:

i'm hoping someone out there has info or advice to help my decision :wacko:
i have developed an incarcerated hernia in my belly button, known as belly button hernia o umbilical hernia.
it is not massive but extremely painful even to the slightest touch.
the docs here have explained the risks to a point but i have little understanding still the internet here is pretty useless, has taken half hour to even type this!
i am 34 weeks tomorrow and am scheduled for an operation under general anaesthetic tomorrow.
any advice would be great. i have been told that there is a high chance of recurrance during labour and birth :wacko:

I know this post is super old. But I was wondering what ever happened with your hernia?

I'd love to know as well. Was just diagnosed with this yesterday. Dr told me there was nothing that can be done about it right now. Her best advice was to tape a quarter over it. >.<

I'd love to know as well. Was just diagnosed with this yesterday. Dr told me there was nothing that can be done about it right now. Her best advice was to tape a quarter over it. >.<

Do you get pains every time you move or cough? Ive been having pain that runs down from my belly button to about three inches below the belly button. I cant believe your doc told you to do that? Did she say how it will affect labor?

It was a bit logical I thought. I had already started taping it to prevent it from ripping further. I knew it was a possibility because of the split muscle. So I was kinda waiting for it. Right now it's sore to the touch and feels a bit like pins and needles. I honestly hadn't thought to ask about labor! But will at my next appt.

She actually asked how many more babies I planned to have. If I wanted more she advised against 'fixing' it until I was done. As long as it didn't get any worse. I'm hoping it doesnt. But I'm not going to hold my breath. If it happens it happens and if it doesn't it doesn't. Keeping pressure on it helps though. She also advised a maternity belt but I can't logically see myself buying a nice one with only 9 weeks left.

I can see tape. I just dont quite understand the reason for the quarter. Im going to look it up. Is this your first? Mine started right after I tried getting up by myself pretty quickly. And now it wont stop hurting. I have an appt tomorrow with my doc. Im going to talk to them about it then. I sure hope you feel better and that it doesnt get worse!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->