Induced but with no pain relief?

RubyLouise

Mum to 2 girls
Reaction score
I was induced with my first and was practically forced into an epidural as soon as I got my first contractions because the midwifes insisted I wouldn't be able to cope with the pain (had the drip in by then)

I'm being induced Wednesday and I'm currently in slow labour and the midwife in the labour triage has already said how epidural should be used for induction...

I hated having one, it didn't work properly and I hated not being able to get up. I really don't want one again.

I get labour is painful but I feel my hospitals policy is to put the fear of God in women who are being induced!

So, has anyone else been induced but with no pain relief? (I would like to use gas and air only, no pain relief Injections or anything)

X

I am preg with my first, but why are they inducing you before your due date? Is something else going on like GD?

I was induced using Cervadil, Cytotec, and the seaweed rods. I didn't have any pain relief at all until just a few minutes before I delivered (and really if I had known it would be a few minutes would have opted out of that- they told me it would be all day). They kept offering me an epidural, but I kept telling them there was no way I would EVER get one. I finally did accept Phentonyl in the IV and delivered just a few minutes later. I think it's completely possible to make it the whole way with nothing (and I would have if the nurse had actually checked me first before giving me the meds).

I did it with my second. Well I had gas and air for about the last half hour.

Its totally doable!

I suppose it depends on method of induction and your own pain threshold.
I was induced with the drop and it was on quite a high rate I wasn't forced into any pain relief but I did have epidural after around 5 hours with gas and air. It was my choice if and when I had any relief. Why are they inducing you? If baby is ok in there and your in slow labour you could wait it out. Don't do anything you don't want, if you want to see how it goes then they can't make you have induction or the epidural. X

I am preg with my first, but why are they inducing you before your due date? Is something else going on like GD?

I'm being induced because of a decrease in movements over the last 2 weeks and I was under consultant care due to previous pre eclampsia in my last pregnancy and he thinks it would be better to be induced. X

I absolutely don't know for certain but my midwife teaches that the baby's movements will slow down considerably after it drops because it's cramped in your pelvis at that point... just something to ask your doc about. If you're interested in natural birthing from what I've read (ie, Childbirth in the Age of Plastics) the best way to avoid interventions is to avoid the induction...

At 38 week there really isn't much room left in there, movements do slow down, I know mine did and she used to grind her head in my pelvis late on rather than be dancing around! Was a yucky feeling lol.

I don't know if a pitocin drip is considered being induced but I had one for my natural 45 hour labor.. it made the contractions much more intense and frequent. Breathing techniques helped me... and at least by the time you are ready to push you are very very efficient because you want the pain over with!

I did Pitocin drip/AROM (for infection) and wasn't favourable, I did the first 24 hours without, it was my first child. It is very very very difficult but some have done it. I couldn't make it past 24 hours though, it was just too much.

I had an emergency induction on syntocin drip at max dose and did it with gas and air and diamorphine. Breathing and relaxation helped me, but so did the drugs.

It is possible without an epidural - but you don't have to be a hero and go without drugs completely!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->