Induction based on EDD

aliss

Reaction score
So, I'm sitting here at "2 days overdue" from my LMP and thinking geez... what a crock to be induced based on such a date (I was induced with Pitocin last time when completely unfavourable but "overdue" by 3 days). I have zero signs of anything started.

I had an early ultrasound at 10 weeks for suspicion of twins and they pushed my due date until the 29th (instead of the 21st LMP). Where I live, there are no ultrasounds, other than 20 weeks, without additional medical reason.

Really makes you wonder about girls being pushed into induction at 40 weeks for being "overdue"!!!!

No kidding... I saw a figure today from the U of Texas - 81% of US women get pitocin to "augment" or induce labor.

I love the apple tree comparison bc I've got an apple tree, and the whole tree bloomed at once... but I've been harvesting apples for two weeks and it looks like I'll be harvesting for about two more. That's about the four week window that most women will deliver in. All our fruits ripen at different speeds and in their own time :)

With my first I had four "due" dates. My lmp was the 4th of July(which I knew was off as I didn't get my BFP until a week after I was due to start) had spotting and an early scan and the midwife said the 15th of July. Had more spotting two weeks later and was given the 11th, and then at my twelve week scan they gave me the 7h, which became my "official" due date! My boy was born on the 18th in the end, and they asked me if I was sure I was 11 days late, because his placenta was really healthy and and he didn't look like an overdue baby with dry skin, etc. That has made me think that maybe the 15th or 11th were much more accurate.

Yikes, induction for "2 days overdue".... :growlmad:

The SOCG Guidelines state "Induction should be considered when it is felt that the benefits of vaginal delivery outweigh the potential maternal and fetal risks of induction. These issues should be discussed with the woman prior to initiation of induction.
One of the most common indications for induction is postterm pregnancy with a gestational age of at least 41 completed weeks. Induction for this indication has been shown to reduce the likelihood of perinatal death."

https://www.sogc.org/guidelines/public/107E-CPG-August2001.pdf

I also read this article "Induction Overload" today about induction which you may find interesting. I've printed it and saved it so that I can remind myself why not to try induction methods unless it's really necessary.

https://www.sogc.org/journalismawards/InductionOverload.pdf

Incredible isn't it???

I'm under midwifery care now (obviously it was OBGYN care with the first) and we don't have our first fetal monitoring until 41+3! :)

I'd rather go to 52 weeks than that Pitocin hell again.

I saw this the other day about a new formula for calculating EDD based on what we actually know about when most babies arrive. Really interesting stuff.

https://www.transitiontoparenthood.com//ttp/birthed/duedatespaper.htm

I set to work right away calculating mine!

Incredible isn't it???

I'm under midwifery care now (obviously it was OBGYN care with the first) and we don't have our first fetal monitoring until 41+3! :)

I'd rather go to 52 weeks than that Pitocin hell again.

So are your midwives working off the EDD of the 29th from your u/s or are they still working off the one based on dates of the 21st?

I saw this the other day about a new formula for calculating EDD based on what we actually know about when most babies arrive. Really interesting stuff.

https://www.transitiontoparenthood.com//ttp/birthed/duedatespaper.htm

I set to work right away calculating mine!

Great read thank you!

Yip thanks for this. I'm personally quite peeved to be railroaded into an induction at 42 weeks!

id tell them to stick their pitocin where the sun doesnt shine lol, i refuse to ever have that stuff given to me ever again! i went 4 days over this time, had no signs what so ever and it just started one night, it'll happen. xx

I'm now 8 days over LMP :rofl:

Pitocin where the sun don't shine! I love it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->