induction, failed forceps and eventual em c section

tristansmum

Reaction score
I had my son 5 months ago and it was not the birth i had hoped for. I had wanted a water birth with just gas & air. At 38+3 weeks i began incredibly itchy. I went to the day unit on labour ward and after CTG and blood tests i was diagnosed with Obstertic Cholestasis (where baby pushes on your liver and bile acids get into your blood stream- can be dangerous for baby). I was given meds to reduce the bile acids and a sweep at 39+1 which only produced my show.
I went in to be induced at 40 weeks. Was given the pessary at 8.30am on saturday. My cervix was 1cm and it didn't hurt at all. After 1 hour on the bed and CTG i walked up and down alot of stairs! At midday i had tummy ache which they gave me paracetamol for. At 2pm i was uncomfortable and had a bath- which stopped everything! At 3.30pm i was examined and was 2cm, thin and ready for waters to be broken. Excellent! However, there were no bed on the labour ward and it was so busy.
And so i waited and waited and waited. Luckily my hubby could stay with me. I was told to sleep- easier said than done when you can hear women having their babies down the corridor.
At 11pm by tummy ache returned and at midnight I had paracetamol and dihydrocodiene which helped a little. My hubby was snoring in the chair and by 1am (sunday) they were definatly contractions coming every 15 minutes or so. After a while i had to stand up when they came and around 2am they were 10 minutes apart and we were walking the corridors which helped alot with the pain. At 4am they were 5 mins and i had some more painkillers and they promised to get me a private room on labour ward.
At 5.30am i got my room.. was very happy until a woman in the next room started screaming! My hubby and I started giggling nervously- but then we hear the baby cry.
I was examined and was 3cm and they broke my waters. I used gas&air and so it didn't hurt. Just felt a massive rush of warm water- like i'd wet my self. This then continued to leak with every contraction which was just lovely! lol
I tried to breath through the contractions which had intensified massively as soon as my waters had gone. It was so pain- like horrid cramping pressure you couldn't escape from. I had to be on CTG continously as the liver condition can effect the baby's heart. This meant i couldn't move about much.
I managed until 7.30ish and then demanded the gas&air- luckliy the shift change had given me a lovely MW who happily handed it to me (previous one told me to wait).
It helped alot but after a couple more hours i ask "for something else" and had pethadine which knocked me out totally. I slept for the minute or so between contractions. My hubby says it was hilarious.
Fastforward 6 hours or so and i had a sudden urge to get off the bed but this put pressure on my cervix and i started pushing uncontrolibly. I was 9.5cm and was told to stop. It was awful as i had no control and the pain was intense. The MW managed to push the last bit across so i could push.
And push i did-standing, squatting, knelling, lying but nothing was happening. The doctor came and i pushed some more- legs in stirrups, very dignified.
They then scanned my tummy and saw his head was tilted up and he couldn't turn o come down.
Dr said forceps was my best opition and to go to theatre for it. I signed the concent form during a huge contraction (they were like evry 30 seconds)
In theatre i was given a spinal block- very difficult to sit still while having the urge to push but they got it in and the relief was amazing.
Hubby turned up and they attempted to turn baby with forceps but didn't work. Then his heart rate dropped and my blood pressure plumeted and they said emergency c section now.
Maybe 3 or 4 minutes later we heard the cry and my son was born.
Weighing 7lb 10oz and almost 36 hours since induction begain and 13 hours since my waters broke!
I was upset over my birth for a long time as i so wanted a natural vaginal birth. but i've come to terms with it now and i realise a healthy baby is what is important.

You did so well and who can tell whats going to happen when we get there!.... all that planning gives us something to do whilst we're pregnant but when it comes down to it a healthy mummy and baby is what matters x

Well done x x x

congrats hun, im glad ur finding some peace over how ur baby was born xx

Congratulations on your LO, which hospital did you have him at? I had my DD at Winchester, i also had a c-section.

i had him at Princess Anne (the one featured in One Born Every Minute)

Glad you're feeling better sweetie xx I had a traumatic birth very much like yours and I'm still coming to terms with it xxx

Congrats, like you I had an induction ending in an emergency C-section and was disappointed, but in the end a healthy baby is the most important and it sounds like you did everything you could to get him out healthily. Well done!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->