Induction? What should I expect?

Cewsbaby

Mom of 2 boys! Hoping for a 3rd
Reaction score
I was planning to go naturally but with this PUPPPS rash and how miserable I am my doctor(s) are saying that if I am favorable at my next appt (38 +4) then they will schedule me for an Induction at 39 weeks. The problem is, with all my research I have not really looked up anything on induction since I honestly didn't want one. :shrug: Now I am all for it! My question is, what should I expect and what where your experiences?

I had a sweep a few days before, then on the same day in the morning, then at night they put a tampon like tablet in, started having contractions but nothing regular. In the morning they took the tablet out. My waters were bulging and my ob was able to break them, I was 3cm dilated at the time but breaking my waters made my contractions regular. 4 hrs later I was 7 cm, then fully dilated an hour later.

When the regular contractions started I asked for gas and air, then pethidine. At 7 cm I asked for epidural but I didn't get it till an hour later. Dd was born around an hour and a half after epidural.

I wasn't given pitocin till after being fully dilated. I guess my contractions got a bit weaker? Not sure if it was caused by epidural or not. But I was also fighting the urge to push.

Overall I think everything went as well as it could have. My labor experience was very pleasant.

I'm sorry about what you're going through. Good luck! Maybe you'll go naturally before scheduling an induction!

I had the tampon thing put in at about 6pm - walked around with DH and started getting quite strong contractions. Went back and they took it out and said I'd dilated to 4cm - was now officially in labour.

They sent me round to L&D some time after midnight saying they might be able to break waters - midwife examined me, said 3.5cm but got the waters. Contractions had been like strong period pains until this point - asked for gas and air after waters went as were instantly stronger.

Midwife left the room and I felt the need to push so DH pressed the button. Midwife laughed and said probably need a wee but let's check anyway - good thing she did. In half hour I'd dilated to 9.5cm. She moved the tiny bit of cervix that was left (ouch!) out of the way and I pushed for about 30 mins. DD was born at 2:04 in the morning.

I didn't personally need anything other than gas and air and escaped the drip. Good luck with your induction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->