Initial ASD assessment questions...

pinkpolkadot

Reaction score
Hi all!

DD has her ASD assessment on Wednesday. I know it varies depending on where you live but just wondering what happened at yours and how long did it last?

Also circumstances mean we are now without a babysitter, do you think it is OK to take the baby with us or will she be too distracting?

Who is doing the assessment and do you know what one it is?

I know our final assessment can take up to three hours and a baby would not be permitted. At one point even I was to stay silent and not communicate in any way. My husband had to take DD2 until the end.

Ours was with the top hospital paediatrician and speech and language therapists and they worked with us and previous reports from other departments we had seen in the past in order to come to a conclusion. They also may or may not be able to diagnose immediately at the time and it may take several appointments, but as you say, everywhere can be different and this is just our example :)

Good luck

Thanks! This will be our first time seeing the paediatrician after being screened by the HV.

I am not sure now whether hubby should stay with the baby or all go, hmmm.

I would avoid taking baby, to allow the paediatrician to interact with DD without any disruption. The less people there the better.

At our first appointment the consultant took lots of history but she also assessed my son by watching him play etc.
I'd recommend ringing them up and asking them re the sibling. They'll tell you what works best.

Thanks, yes I think I'll call. I really want us both to go so they can have both our imput but baby is very active so do I think she will be distracting.

We are in a bit of a spot with babysitters as MIL was going to have DD2 but she looks after our nephew on that day and DD2 has been exposed to chickenpox by DD1 and SIL is pregnant and not immune (it's complicated!) and my mum is poorly :(

Do nurseries do a drop in thing? I could ask DD1s nursery if they will take DD2 for half a day but won't be able to ask then until Tuesday when they are open now.

I think it's worth a shot asking your dd1s nursery. :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->