injection for placenta delivery....Link to breastfeeding difficulty

Gingerspice

Reaction score
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-30020003

Anyone seen this. I had the injection as I was l Iosing too much blood and to try to get control they gave the injection to speed up delivery so they ccould get stitches done. As it was DD was then not able to try and breastfeed within the 'golden hour' so that won't have helped either. We had a really tough time trying to get BF established but i was so stubborn to keep going despite the Hv telling me to just give up and bottle feed! Now i'm wondering if this may hAve contributed

I honestly think it has a lot more to do with the mothers mindset and opinions on natural birth and feeding than the injection itself and those who choose to research and educate themselves about the injection are more likely to research and educated themselves about breastfeeding and know how and when to seek the correct support than those that don't.
I didn't want the injection, it was given to me without consent, it was undiagnosed lip tie that caused our problems which thankfully we overcame.
Xx

I saw this article and personally I don't agree. I fully agree with previous poster and I hold similar opinion. With both my babies I had the injection and had no problems bf or establishing bf, they where both bf till 13 months. I intend to have the injection and bf this time also. x

I had the syntometrin twice with my first delivery as I was losing too much blood and had a home birth. Second time around I requested it as again was at home and starting to lose too much again. Both had no problems breastfeeding except for their tongue ties and I am fully prepared to have the injection again if it means I don't have to transfer in for a blood transfusion!!

I had the injection with DD as I was bleeding heavily. I BF for 5 days until sepsis set in which then caused my body to shut down.. definitely not related to the injection ;)

I am having the injection again and will be attempting BF again as I don't think it is down to the injection. Interesting reading though.

I dont believe alot of what is reported by big news people. I had injection twice no issues with BF it was just my choice not to go at it long term.
I had natural third stage on sat my baby wouldnt latch on just one of them things.

Interesting read! I don't think it will apply to everyone but it might help women who have the injection and then find bf painful to understand where it could be coming from and that it will pass.
Ultimately, fear of struggling with bf shouldn't stop anyone from having the injection when needed as suffering a hemorrhage from excessive bleeding is obviously more dangerous than feeding a baby formula!

Not true in my case, have had injection with my 4 births so far and managed breastfeeding easily with 2 of them and very easily with the other 2 and managed to feed my first for 8 months before going back to work and the other 3 between 19-21 months.

I don't agree despite on the face of it my situation could prove this theory. Breastfeeding problems are more likely to be to do with lack of support and the fact that each baby is different. I did have the injection with ds1 and lost the golden hour - despite this he latched well and fed for ages. Our problems came out when he was home - colic, reflux, tt and for me horrendous splits in my nipples that bled for weeks. With DS2 I didn't have the injection and our feeding has gone better but wasn't amazing in hospital, though he's a quicker feeder, doesn't have a tongue tie and I know how to look after my nipples this time. I don't feel that the injection is what made the difference.

I personally don't agree with it. I had the injection routinely. I wasn't bleeding a lot (I lost an average amount of blood). I also had an epidural, which they say causes breastfeeding problems. My son breastfed within the first hour and did great. He was even tongue tied and we didn't have problems. I do have pain when I feed, but that's from my not getting him on properly. When I get him on properly there is no pain.

I read this mostly out of curiosity as I have absolutely no experience with this injection. Im not aware of this being a routine injection here in the US, at least in the Midwest. I've always been induced, though, and therefore was receiving pitocin, and they just give a small dose via IV if needed for placental delivery.

I had the injection, bf for 18 months no problems!

I don't believe it either and I failed at breast feeding my LO and had the injection.

It was just one of those things I struggled and LO struggled I could have another baby and have no issues breast feeding x

mmm i had this with first DD they gave with out asking and after i couldnt get her to latch and stay on neither could midwives had to stay in overnight expressing and topping up till a wonderful lactation consultant got her latched and on 4 days post partum .we then BF for 26 months. Had no problems with number 2 and i didnt have the injection then

I actually didn't think this was new news? Of course loads of mothers have the injection and still don't have problems breastfeeding and others have problems that have nothing to do with the injection but it only makes sense that it could be a small factor in making it harder for some to get started. Hormones during and after birth are very strong and happen in a specific order. It is well known that those hormones help establish breastfeeding. The injection is a synthetic hormone at a high dose which changes the pattern of hormones in your body. It seems like anything that changes your hormones could cause BFing problems for at least some women. I still wouldn't hesistate to have the injection in the case of severe bleeding but its worth considering if you want it given routinely. You usually have to ask not to be given it if you do have an oppinion because most hospitals give it to everyone unless you request otherwise. There are advantages to the injection but there are also disadvantages. A big advantage to medical staff is that it speeds up the last stage making their job quicker, which may or may not be seen as an advantage by the mum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->