Insanely sore throat- help!

Linzalora

Reaction score
My throat has felt like it's on fire and being carved out by a rusted spoon for two days now. I have some really awful, slow moving postnasal drip action. Went to the doctor, but she prescribed me stuff that I'm not supposed to take during first trimester!

Anyone have any ideas for relief? I can't even sleep with this pain!

Go for natural solutions . It takes time .
Tea with drops of lemon juice .
It will sooth your pain it will help you sleep.
Gargle with warm water and salt .
Tell us how it went .
Dont forget to eat oranges strawberries and anything rich in vitamin c .

Thanks for the advice. I'll have to pick up lemon from the store tomorrow. I gargled with salt water, and I'm drinking some tea with honey now.

You are welcome dear but i wanted to tell you something i was told the past few days . It was to avoid honey these days cause ot acts as an antibiotic .
I am not 100 % convinced but it' s better to do so .......
Maybe a stupid thing but i stopped using it .

My throat was insanely sore too but after a few days of gargling salt water and drinking honey in hot water it really eased off! I read that it was fine to have honey throughout pregnancy but not good for children under 1yr ? Xxxxxxx

I just got over being terribly sick, started as a sore throat, then cough and sinuses. I took musinex and it worked quickly, Dr approved as well

I would love to take mucinex cause it usually works for me. Maybe I'll call up my Obgyn tomorrow and ask if I can take that, cause I really don't think the clinic I went to today did a very good job.

I am starting to think that soar throats and cold and sinuses are pregnancy symptoms.
My throat is now better but my sinuses are not .

Honey, lemon and ginger tea is great, as is gargling with salt water (salt is actually antibacterial and antiviral, so it actually kills off the infection in your throat). You might also consider using a neti pot. I find that helps a lot with postnasal drip. Plus just taking paracetamol or ibuprofen if you normally take them. I wouldn't worry about avoiding honey. Yes, really good natural raw honey does have antibacterial properties (most honey you buy in the store doesn't really though because it's been processed to death), but something being antibacterial isn't the same thing as it being an antibiotic. For example, natural yogurt has antibacterial properties because it's filled with all sorts of good bacteria which can help balance out the bad bacteria in the gut, but it's not an antibiotic. So I would be totally comfortable having honey in pregnancy. And anyway, there are plenty of pregnancy safe antibiotics too, if you were to need them, though obviously not for a cold.

Thanks all. I tried everything for hours with no relief, it actually kept getting worse. I ended up breaking down and taking one mucinex. By the middle of the night it was so unbearable that I considered going to the ER, but collapsed from exhaustion instead.

I woke up completely drenched in sweat a couple hours later and the pain was greatly diminished. I could swallow water without crying.

This morning my throat is raw and painful, but it seems slightly better. Will continue home treatments today and sleep add much as possible.

I don't want to alarm you but I would go back to the doctor. That much pain sounds like either tonsillitis or strep throat....

Yeah, I gave in and went to the doctor. Thankfully, it's not strep. I was given augmentin, and two hours later in finally feeling better. I was able to eat soup and drink water. Hooray!

Oh yay!!!! Last time I had that excruciating pain it ended up being tonsillitis. I'm glad you're feeling better! Hope you're on the mend for good.

I feel like a normal person today, just keeping up the salt water gargles, hot tea, and lots of sleeping. That virus struck fast, but thankfully left just as quick. Thanks for all the advice and support! Really helped me get through this.

Yeaaaay i am happy you are feeling better .
Now hopefully you can enjoy being pregnant :happydance:

I feel like a normal person today, just keeping up the salt water gargles, hot tea, and lots of sleeping. That virus struck fast, but thankfully left just as quick. Thanks for all the advice and support! Really helped me get through this.

Aw brilliant news xxx after my bad throat it progressed into a cough :( keep up the fluids and honey just incase :) now you can enjoy your pregnacy 😙 xxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->