Instagram planning to sell photos

vaniilla

Reaction score
I don't personally have or use this app but I know lots of members on the forum do, they're planning on changing the policy terms so that they can sell photos from member's accounts without their permission, you can't opt out of it either, what does everyone think about this?

I personally think it's nuts for people to be okay with it, not only do they want to use pics but they want to make profit out of them - profit that'll you never get anything from yourself :wacko:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20767537

I see this posted on Facebook about an hour or so ago. I use instagram but I won't be if they go ahead with this.
There's no way i'll be ok with anyone selling or using my pictures especially as 90% of them are of the kids.
I haven't actually read the full article but will do later. :)

I'll be deleting my Instagram account soon. It's not that I think my photos are personally at risk, they're rather uninteresting and crappy lol. But it's the principle that they'd be able to profit off MY images and not even have to notify me, even though my account is private! I hope that others choose to leave Instagram as well.

I've also left Facebook recently.

I read an interesting quote too (funny).. something along the lines of saying we're not their customers, merely the cattle.. so shut up and enjoy the feed while we profit off your "milk". Fairly accurate! There's no opt out option either which seems unfair to me.

I thought the no opt out is ridiculous, surely they can see what the fall out of this will be?

A lot of people are ignorant- don't read the terms of use and probably have no idea about the change in policy. I also see a lot of youth on it that may not appreciate what this actually means?

you're right, it's horrendous that they can get away with it, hopefully it won't go through. The sad thing is they've probably calculated the gain in revenue to be higher to sell photos and lose members than vice versa.

Exactly. They paid about a billion dollars for Instagram (Facebook) when they bought it I think? They must have planned this.. to turn it into a free source of stock photos basically. Otherwise it was hardly worth the price tag since it's ad-free and mostly limited to mobile use as an app

I use this app but my photos are currently "private" so only people I say can see them. Will they still have the "right to sell" them? Been trying to find it everywhere with no answers :/.

Although even though I used the editting part of the app I sometimes don't upload them to actual "Instagram", they just save to my phone, surely they don't have the right to sell them if I don't actually upload them?

from the sounds of it all the information you have on there will be up for grabs regardless of of privacy status - anything saved on there will be theirs to use - so user name, photos and any other details.

I use this app but my photos are currently "private" so only people I say can see them. Will they still have the "right to sell" them? Been trying to find it everywhere with no answers :/.

Although even though I used the editting part of the app I sometimes don't upload them to actual "Instagram", they just save to my phone, surely they don't have the right to sell them if I don't actually upload them?

Probably not if they are not actually uploaded- just like when you delete and take a new photo. It would only apply to what is actually uploaded and saved on their servers?

Yes the right to sell applies to private accounts as far as I am aware.

I've just deleted every photo off my "profile" on there, changed all my details then I edited a photo which only saved to my gallery on my phone and not actual instagram so I suppose thats a way to get around it :)

EDIT: it only deleted a few pictures then re-added them!

There could be a watermarking app out there, a way they'd presumably be uninterested in selling your photos. But I still plan to delete in protest iykwim.

I found an article which explains what Instagram can do with your photos. Tbh its not *as* bad as its being made out to be:

So what can Instagram do? Well, an advertiser can pay Instagram to display your photos in a way that doesn't create anything new — so Budweiser can put up a box in the timeline that says "our favorite Instagram photos of this bar!" and put user photos in there, but it can't take those photos and modify them, or combine them with other content to create a new thing. Putting a logo on your photo would definitely break the rules. But putting a logo somewhere near your photos? That would probably be okay.

If all of this seems vaguely familiar, it's because it's basically what Facebook has been doing with Sponsored Posts for months now — advertisers can pay to "sponsor" your posts in various categories to make sure they prominently appear in your friends' News Feeds. So if you "like" The Hobbit, the filmmakers can pay Facebook to promote that post across Facebook. The main difference is that Facebook is a little more clear and careful about what can and can't be promoted — you do lots of different kinds of things on Facebook, so it fundamentally has more things to sell. Pretty much all you do on Instagram is share photos, so there's just not much else the company can do to make money except use those photos and your data to sell ads.

And anything to do with your personal photos can be icky. Turning a "like" of a new film or status update about a morning coffee into advertising for Iron Man and Starbucks is an explicit statement about a product or brand — Facebook's simply taking our actions and repackaging them as social ad units. Instagram photos don't really have that connection: the company will be using our personal emotional moments in a limited commercial manner, even if they have no connection to the product being sold. And make no mistake: Instagram screwed up royally by publishing these new terms of service and not explaining them in any way. They could be written better and more clearly, and Instagram's intentions could be made much more plain. Instagram has our photos — the company has a responsibility to tell us exactly how it plans to make money with them, even if the plans are fairly benign.

All startups learn harsh lessons like this sometimes, but Instagram is a startup no longer: the company just made close to a billion dollars selling itself to Facebook. That's great, but the downside is that Instagram is now part of Facebook, the company we all love to hate because of its relentless quest to monetize our private lives. It's no wonder Instagram's new terms have triggered a passionate, emotional reaction in people who don't understand them — the same thing happens to Facebook users who are constantly falling for privacy hoaxes.

In fact, the real lesson here isn't about the legal implications of Instagram's terms of service — it's about how little we trust Facebook to do the right thing.

Hope that helps people understand it a little more :)

https://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-5...apologizes-to-users-we-wont-sell-your-photos/

^ this is an updated article... still going to keep an eye on this and see if I will continue to use it.

https://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-5...apologizes-to-users-we-wont-sell-your-photos/

^ this is an updated article... still going to keep an eye on this and see if I will continue to use it.

I don't think I'll trust them after what I've read so far. I shall not be uploading my photos on their servers. Like many people said on there its Facebook after all.. They'll trying & lure people back in while covering up their tracks

This makes me thankful that I don't use instagram :wacko:

I downloaded all my pics to my pc and I'll be deleting my instagram account.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->