Interest in toys/development??

divadexie

Reaction score
When would you expect them to start reaching out for things?

LO is happy to look at stuff, but has never made any effort to reach for anything yet.
Apart from her bottle. Which she likes to stroke rather than hold :haha:

Also her interest in toys is not that great that I can put/do something infront of her while having tummy time to get her to lift her head up. She HATES tummy time and can't even lift her head up nearly as far as my cousins baby who was born well after LO's due date!

I was going to mention about rolling but read that other thread. Just my paediatrician said she thought she wasnt far off rolling and that was a couple of months ago.

Hiya Ella's just started in the past 2 weeks grabbing for things and wanting to put everything in her mouth, she gets all excited and shakes her arms and legs when you show her something she likes but her grasp is not very strong and she cant hold things for very long and tends to feel and stroke things instead. Ella also hates tummy time but i think thats also coz her arms arent nearly as strong as her legs. Ella started rolling when she was about 10wks old, did it a few times and hasnt really made any attempts to since. Ellas 16wks corrected or 21wks actual.

One of my friends hubbys said something that made me think the other day about development, their baby was full term but he said theyre trying not to be too focused on development coz they all eventually learn to do things eventually.

Can i just say that Anna really sounds like she's doing fab hugs xxx

Was just saying in another thread that it is only in the last couple of weeks that Gaby has really shown an interest in toys. It just happened overnight after me worrying that it would never happen!

Still no where near holding her bottle herself, although if I don't touch it she makes a good effort! She can roll back to front but never ever rolled front to back. Although she can now (again only in the last couple of weeks) sit unsupported.

No sounds from her except 'roaring' must hurt her throat! Is Anna or Ella babbling yet?

Sophie has been reaching out and grabbing toys for a wee while now - must be a couple of months, but she's a month older than Anna and was born 2 weeks later. Just the last couple of weeks she has really starting trying to pick things up that are sitting on the arm of the chair if I'm holding her, or trying to use the laptop, lol! All babies develop at different rates and Anna will do things in her own time. We did notice that things happened suddenly though - all of a sudden this week she has started reaching for her dummy and putting it into her own mouth and yesterday she grabbed her bottle from me and stuffed it into her mouth and held it for a few seconds before dropping it!

Re the rolling, we were convinced when we were on holiday the first week of October that she was about to roll - she was soooo close, getting right over onto her side - but she only made it right over 2 weeks ago. A few days later she rolled from her tummy to her back. She has done it each way twice, and never again so I'm wondering if it was just by chance that she did it!

Sophie also hates tummy time. Again it's just very recently that she has really started pushing right up - probably in the last month. It just suddenly happened one day. She pushes up now for a minute or two and then lies down again! Was your cousin's baby full term? Try not to compare - as I said, all babies are different but full term babies seem to often do things earlier than preemies even by their corrected age. I have loads of friends on FB who had babies over the summer, and their babies are all sitting, rolling all over the place, nearly crawling...but they are also very very much bigger than Sophie! That has to make a difference too, with the strength thing. Some of them are 18-20lbs even though they are around Sophie's corrected age and she's lots lighter than that - and Anna is even smaller!

I'm sure it'll all come in time. It doesn't help when people like health visitors and friends with full term babies seem to think our babies should be doing all the same things as a full term baby :growlmad: (yep, I had a dose of the health visitor today!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->