Interesting Study Done on "Spoiled" Babies

O

Ozzieshunni

Excellent article I just read, if anyone needs reassurance about responding to their children's needs. A psychologist conducted several studies with mothers and she found that responding to your children and giving them extra affection will help them become more secure and independent.

All three studies suggested the same thing: children who are shown more affection early in life reap big benefits. Researchers found that kids who were held more by their parents, whose cries received quick responses in infancy and who were disciplined without corporal punishment were more empathic — that is, they were better able to understand the minds of others — later in life.

Read more: https://healthland.time.com/2010/09...w-up-to-be-smarter-kinder-kids/#ixzz1oKYalwZg

Just wanted to share :flower:

thats quite interesting as some people say not to pick them up instantly every time they cry, my bubba is three weeks old today and i cant stop cuddling him lol so i hope this article is on the money :) x

Yeah, I hear lots of new mums worrying about spoiling their babies and getting advice that they shouldn't pick them up right away. I thought this would help reassure them :flower:

Thanks for posting :) im so tired of hearing how meeting a babys basic needs is 'spoiling them'.

Whilst I agree with this type of parenting and practice it myself, I find articles such as these too simplistic, implying that a baby who was left to cry for some minutes but generally much loved and cared for is the same as one completely neglected.

I just quoted a section of it. The whole article is very well written.

That's a great article! Therer aren't many adults that need their parents to pick them physically when they cry. I hate it when people refer 'spoiling' as giving your baby asmuch affection as they need.

I was never able to leave mine to cry. It just tore my heart out. I have to say they are very lovely kids now - 13 and 11, and very affectionate and caring. I don't think you can ever spoil a child with love. Better to shower them with love than ignore them. To a child, the worst possible punishment (worse than smacking) is ignoring them.

That is very interesting. My grandmother always said you shouldn't hold babies or spoil them. She was always proud of the fact that she only held hers when she had to. I guess I see what could atleast be part of the reason why they didn't really turn out that well. I think I should print this out for her to look at.

i personally dont think you can spoil a baby with hugs, however sweets, toys and giving in can spoil them.

i always picked my son up if he needed me, if he was moaning id leave him but not if he were crying.

im a nursery nurse and when i worked in the baby room we had a slogan on the wall which read

" A babies favourite toy is an adult that will care for it,cuddle it and love it"

i love this.

I read a book called "Love Matters" that came to the same conclusion. I find it logical that responding to your babies needs with love will encourage security, independence and trust. No matter how rough parenting has gotten, it's never even crossed my mind to leave my son to cry. Babies cry because it's their only means of communication, and to deliberately withhold affection or attention when it could otherwise be given is totally counterintuitive to me.

It's true and I think many more people need to hear/read it and practice it. Love is louder means more than just a slogan to stop bullies. Loving your baby and meeting their needs is what we, are parents, are meant to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->