Internal exams question

9jawife

Mom of one
Reaction score
I am planning a natural birth with Midwives at the hospital. The Midwives I see want to start doing internal exams at 36 weeks like the doctors do. I learned in my birthing classes, though, that exams carry a risk of infection, AND they don't even predict when your birthing time will start! Is that true? I personally don't mind knowing if/how much I am dilated and effaced, but if it doesn't actually give us an approximate idea of when birth will begin....what's the point? :shrug:

Good question, and in the uk you don't have any exams until you're in labour. Or unless you go overdue and you agree to have a sweep. If you don't want any exams just say no.

There is no point to internal examinations and of no benefit to the mother :thumbup:

If you don't wish to know, you can decline them.

Seems early and pointless, I'd decline. My dr did an internal check when I was 39+5 to see what was going on and whether I'd need an appointment the next week. She said it didn't seem like anything was happening - DS was born less than 48hrs later!

I just had a natural home birth. I wrote in my birth plan that I didnt want any internal examinations at all. Midwife really wanted to do one when she arrived so I gave in, told 4cm which made me anxious...the main reason I didnt want one in the first place. I gave birth less than 2 hrs later though. I wish is stuck to my guns and said no as it made me doubt my progress!

...what's the point? :shrug:

Exactly. Why would you allow that for no medical reason? Your baby will come when s/he is ready. I"d tell them to keep their hands out of my vagina. Even in labour I don't allow any internals.

You're right. There's no point. It just gives them something to do. It's why they don't even do them here (unless you get to 41 weeks and request a stretch and sweep). Personally, I would decline. I only had one cervical exam and that was when I was in labour and already fully dilated. That was horrible enough and I plan to decline even those next time around. You don't have to do anything you don't want to, even in labour.

where are you located? i'm in Canada and put "no or minimal exams" in my birth plan. For each exam pre labor I had to request it (I was overdue and had two sweeps) & in labor they simply asked if I minded being checked, I had the option to say no!

Turns out I was worried for nothing-they do not force the issue with Midwife clients. But now that it's been a few weeks, I think I might actually allow them to do it--stressing NO stripping of membranes. Just curious as to how my body is progressing.

They can give an indication of if your body is ready for labour but it's still not a sure thing. You can apear ready and still take weeks or you can seem no where near ready and go into labour the next day. I decided to refuse internal exams because it seemed like it would just add to the pressure and I didn't really want to be poked more than needed and I didnt trust them not to give me a quick sweep while they were there, which I didnt want. After I went overdue I did check my own cervix a few times. It was so high I couldnt reach it until a couple of days before labour started so it did change not long before labour for me.

They aren't very indicative of when labour will happen at all.

I had one at 34 weeks but was having contractions so it made sense to check if I was dilating. I go on call for a home birth next thursday and it is in my birth plan to have no internal exams, I want to let my body work things out itself, and not have being told how far gone I am affecting my concentration.

Sorry, I don't mean to highjack the thread, but if you don't have any internals during labour how do you get a sense of how far you are?

Sorry, I don't mean to highjack the thread, but if you don't have any internals during labour how do you get a sense of how far you are?

From the research I've done and what I've seen others say, the internal exams just give you a snap shot view of how things are at that exact moment. Things can change in an instant and it's no way to tell how well things are progressing. For me I know it will stress me out if I'm told i'm only 2 cms, then only 3 cms several hours later.

I have full faith and trust in my body and believe that when the time comes, I will know when the right time to push is.

I'd like to add that in labor I had an internal when I was checked in and the doctor said I was about 7 cm. A few hours later a nurse wanted to do another and I obliged. She said at that point I was about 7 cm and the previous doctor had just been too generous with his earlier exam. I found that to be so discouraging. So that's something to consider as well if you want to agree to internal exams. Plus there is a risk of your membranes rupturing, which could put you 'on the clock' to deliver before they insist on artificial induction due to risk of infection. Artificial induction carries a number of its own risks and can make labor more intense.

the opposite is true as well, if you feel you've been working hard and not making much progress an internal exam that shows you've gone from 4 cm to 9 cm can be very motivating! just listen to your instincts and you should do wonderfully :)

Since their approach and your wishes are so far apart even in pregnancy - is it worth shopping around for new midwives, so that you are not battling for what you want and need in labour?

It is far better to find a provider who is in line with your wishes if possible, than one who isn't and try to make them change their policy on the day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->