interview at a nursery tomorrow! tips?

pandacub

Proud mummy to Jacob
Reaction score
Well I have finally got another friggin' job interview, it is at a small nursery at a college. Im so nervous, I really am I dire need of a job and this one sounds Perfect.

Im terrified of messing it up by forgetting answers to straight forward questions. I know they will ask about the EYFS and include some 'what would you do if...' questions so im preparing best I can and researching some current childcare news but in situations such as this it is not unheard of for my brain to go on a little holiday.

Any tips? How do you manage your nerves? And if anyone works at a nursery, how was your interview process?

No real advice, but good luck. :)

good luck, if you have experience take in stuff that you have planned for children, when they take you to meet children get down to their level (it was always noticed by schools I worked in if you were good with children) they may ask what you would do in certain situations, take a deep breath and really think it may be to do with an emergency situation for example, they are more going to be looking at how you relate to children and parents rather than how many studies you know, of course its important to keep up to date but its more important that the parents and children like you. They will most probably do an interview asking what you would do in certain situations and assessing your knowledge and then will take you on a tour. I hope it goes well

Write everything down, all your answers to questions you think. Take lots of notes with you and have your papers in front of you for reference.

There is no 'remembering' generally for an interview, just preparing.

My initial impression of someone sitting in front of me for an interview without any papers/notes/prep/experience would be negative, of course they may manage to change my mind during the interview if they've remembered everything textbook....but first impressions are a biggy.

Dress smart, deep breaths, accept a drink of water if offered a drink & small sips throughout.

Best of luck.

I would agree with notes, I have a portfolio I take with me which I can refer to for example what I have done in a certain situation, how I have fulfilled EYFS (I got my EYPS before I became a teacher and then was teaching reception and year one) it has lesson plans also reflective teaching for example where something did not go right and how I built on it and then how I have used childrens likes to help planning

Good luck hun. Questions that are usually asked I find are -

What is your knowledge of EYFS

What would you do if you suspected a child was being abused? If I (the manager) didn't believe you what would you do if you really suspected a child was being abused?

What would you do if you'd planned an inside activity and it snowed outside (random I know but I've had it at at least 3 nursery jobs I've had!)

What qualifications do you hold?

What is a key workers role?

Usually asked about planning to.

I made sure to take any certificates I had plus any planning/work that I felt they'd like to see. I dressed smartish (usually black trousers/a white shirt)

Good luck hun! xx

Thanks ladies!
Unfortunately they didn't offere the position advertised but they did offer me relief work which is betrer than nothing. Its not regular money but at least it's experience until I start my uni course.

experience is always good so well done and that means they liked you since they offered you something

Sorry you didn't get it, but the relief work will look great on your cv, well done :)

Well done on obtaining the relief work :thumbup: great experience

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->