Introducing 1 bottle of formula

Mummy Bean

Parker & Dougs Mum
Reaction score
not sure if should post in this part or the FF part.

currently i EBF but i want to introduce 1 bottle a day. Just Doug has become super fussy at the breast during the day which makes getting stuff done quite difficult, esp if out and about as he hates being covered. during the night and in the morn he brilliant at feeding. think he may just get distracted easy. also in the coming weeks i have loads on ...starting college, moving house ect and it would be great if i could give Doug to my mum to look after every now and then.

now i wanted to express but i only ever get 2oz maybe 3 at a push from each boob ( and i can only do one at time other wise not enough for next feed). and i just dont have the time to express 2-3 times a day just for one bottle.

so my question...any one do this? will he get a bad tummy? is it just a slipery slope to giving up all together? any ones LO not take to it...or even worse go off the boob?

DS got a bottle of formula at bedtime from about 4 months. He was fine with it. He decided at about 8 months he wasn't having bottles or dummies anymore. He is currently 2 years old and still nursing.

Just use a normal stage 1 milk, don't give too much at a feed, certainly less than a FF baby of the same age would take. Then observe. If at the next feed you get any signs of nipple confusion, such as refusal, bad latch then it might not be a good time to introduce a bottle. Also observe for signs of discomfort.

Oh.... and be warned. Just one bottle of formula a day is enough to change bowel habits. DS was pooping once a week when exclusively breastfed. Just that one bottle was enough to get him pooping once a day.

Wow this is not relevant to me bit something to put in my memory bank.

Hi my son had the occasional ff from about 4 months, if he was with grandparents or whatever. And since 6/7 months he has had 1 at bedtime every night and if I'm out and about as he is super nosey and won't breast feed unless there's absolutely nothing else going on. He doesnt have any problems switching from one to the other he seems to like both equally. His tummy was not upset at all although his poo did change slightly think he may have been slighty constipated. He is 10 months now and has a bottle mid morning and at bed time and is bf at about 4ish, first thing in the morning and when he wakes during the night. Good luck oh I used aptimal btw x

I dont think 2-3oz from each side is bad. Thats all I've ever been able to get from both sides combined. Be prepared for the chance of a battle. I have a bottle refuser. We've tried so many different bottles, teats, temperatures, time of day, person giving it, with me in/out of the house. Won't take a drop :( x

We tried 1 bottle a day (at night so my OH could give me a break from feeding) and it lasted for maybe 4 weeks. It got harder and harder until she finally just refused the bottle. We tried different bottles and times of day but in the end I went back to just bf'ing myself. That's just my personal experience though, so try it and see how it goes. I hope it works for you x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->