Introducing Ava Lily! 8/12/10 - late to her own party, but much loved :)

hannah76

Reaction score
My birth story:

Ava Lily was born on Wednesday December 8th at 6:34 am at 8 lbs 12 oz and 21 inches long. My early labour was very long - I was having frustratingly regular contractions from Sunday on, but stayed home until the morning of December 7th. I hopped on my ball, paced around the house, and even went to the mall one evening for an indoor walk with my mom and breathed through contractions while pretending to look in store windows! I was sure this was it any time and was getting super discouraged that my girl was keeping me in suspense for so long.

I woke up Tuesday morning with more intense contractions 5 minutes apart and put the exit plan in motion – called my mom who was driving us into the hospital, woke dh up and packed my stuff as well as I could. Arrived at the hospital and I was only 2 cm dilated so I was told to walk around the hospital for the morning then come back to triage for another check. At lunch I was still only 3 cm, so was offered and accepted a morphine shot and went home to rest and walk more for the afternoon. We were getting so excited for Ava to arrive at that point and once again though that by midnight we’d be parents! :nope: Monday was December 7th, my brother’s bday, and I was hoping my daughter would share that bday with him.

At dinner time we went back to the hospital and were admitted at 4 cm. Now we were elated and on such a high that we were finally in our labouring room! I ate some snacks I’d packed, some yummy double chocolate cookies that I’d baked the day before, chatted with dh and braved through the contractions 5 mins apart until just before 10pm. Then the pain was bringing tears to my eyes so I talked to the doc about the pros/cons of an epidural. My biggest worry was that labour would stall or stop, but was assured that this isn’t something that would necessarily happen so I went ahead and asked for the shot. I was 6cm at this point. It was just in time, as during the 10 min wait for the anaesthesiologist the contractions were constant and I couldn’t handle it anymore. The anaesthesiologist arrived and found out that apparently I have very small spaces between my vertebrae so after what felt like an eternity of having my back poked, I heard her say – ok, last try. Ack! Luckily she got it and I felt relief very quickly.

I managed to sleep all night, even dozed through many of the checks throughout the night. I had my waters broken at some point, but ended up needing pitocin as well. The nurses woke me just after 6am for my check, and Ava was already making her way out into the world with her head crowning! I asked for a mirror and could see lots of brown hair! I was so happy and although I had been feeling pressure and a need-to-poop feeling for a couple of hours, still no pain. They got me to push once for a test and then told me to stop as she was coming out! they called the doc and I pushed over 4 contractions with shockingly no pain and no tearing, and then there she was :D I got to watch the whole thing in the mirror. She came out sunny side-up which anyone who’s been following my journal will know was a big fear of mine. Despite facing up, being almost 9 lbs, and coming out so fast I didn’t have any tearing or swelling and pushing took all of 15 mins!! Epidurals rock, and although I was adamant before labour I wouldn’t have one, I decided pretty early on that an epi was likely in my future – that pain is no joke!! I’d do it all over again the same way in a heartbeat.

Daddy and I are both so in love and Ava is getting comfy at home after an extended stay in hospital due to jaundice. Being a parent is a real trip! So much fun but so much more exhausting than I could have imagined... luckily Ava loves her swing we’ve discovered :)

Attachments

• 20101208_Ava11.jpg
    20101208_Ava11.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 45
  • 20101208_Ava13.jpg
    20101208_Ava13.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 46
  • 20101208_Ava15.jpg
    20101208_Ava15.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 40
Your story made me tear up! OMG it had to have been awesome for her to be crowning like that! And I can't wait for more stories of her! She is such a cutie :)

Congratulations!!

Congrats. She is beautiful. Love the name by the way. My daughters name is Ava Rose. So they both have Ava as a first name and a flower as a second lol. Congrats again.

Beautiful story Hun, you did a great job. Love the piccy of you a together it's lovely :hugs: x x

So happy to read your birth story hun - just goes to show that you can never really tell how you will feel about what pain relief you will want until the event.

Ava is absolutely gorgeous and I am so glad that you are getting your long awaited mummy cuddles :hugs:

Thanks for the story Hannah! It's great to read and aside from the very very long early labour - (Jeez was it only from Sunday?? It felt like about 5 days to me!!!) it doesn't sound too horrendously scary! Me likey the sound of the epidural!!! A LOT! To WAKE UP TO HER CROWNING sounds like a dream come true!!

She is absolutely gorgeous!! I'm so glad everything went well with no complications. What a great Christmas gift Ava is!! I hope all is well at home and you and your little family are happy as can be. :)

Welcome to the world little Ava!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sounds like it went well apart from the long wait. Congrats honey.

What an adorable baby girl... welcome Ava and congrats mommy and daddy!

She's adorable!! Congrats..I love hearing a birth story with no pain and no tearing :)

Hello Ava. She is just gorgeous and so worth the wait. Hope you're making good recovery and she is settling in well. :hugs:

Congratulations on your Daughter Ava. What a fab birthday!!(Both of mine were born on 8th Dec, 3 years apart.:laugh2:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->