introducing cows milk at 6 months

1st_baby

So max has been getting some cows milk with his cereals in the am and loves it , hes had no bad reaction what so ever ..

Just yesterday i started giving him some half & half bottles for breakfast , the dr told me its ok to start getting his tummy used to it but im afraid it could hurt him :dohh: hes had no reaction to drinking the bottle I gave him ,, but could it damage his digestive system ?

Any ADVICE will be apriciated :happydance:

I hope I don't get jumped on for voicing my opinion.

I think a bit is fine but they don't get all the vitamins they need in the first year from cows milk so it's advised to stay on formula/breast milk untill one year.

Theres a different countries thing here as well isn't there? I think I've become confused over time because things can be so different on the smallest things lol

I wouldn't have thought it was a great idea and I recall HV telling me NEVER unless in cereal or homemade foods until 12 months although I have starting weaning it into her bottle already (just after 11 months).

x

Yes Wobbles most countries are different but here it goes by each dr saying something diff lol so it gets quite confusing .. Thats why I come on here and ask my experts hahaha

But yeah so true Toria that they dont get all they need from cows milk it makes sense but see even that scares me once hes 12 months where will he get all the vits he needs then :( I think I will just keep doing the cereal and milk thing only ..after all he dosent need the milk as a drink ..

Thank you girls

WOBBLES I didnt even know you were PG congrats lol just saw it on your ticker

Jasmine has some with cereal but never given her any to drink yet.

When they're 12m+ they should be eating enough to get all their vitamins

Yes Wobbles most countries are different but here it goes by each dr saying something diff lol so it gets quite confusing .. Thats why I come on here and ask my experts hahaha

But yeah so true Toria that they dont get all they need from cows milk it makes sense but see even that scares me once hes 12 months where will he get all the vits he needs then :( I think I will just keep doing the cereal and milk thing only ..after all he dosent need the milk as a drink ..

Thank you girls

WOBBLES I didnt even know you were PG congrats lol just saw it on your ticker
I asked a vits question too lol but I assume around 1 their little bodies have adapted enough and obviously by this stage much more will have been introduced so with this theres always supplements in various foods. Nice varities I think is the key - basically not junk food like us as adults should follow too :rofl:

I'm always full of questions. Now we're heading to the all milk no formula, 1st birthday stage etc I am back to that baffled stage. I remember the whole start to weaning though I was a walking anxiety :rofl:

An thankies x :hugs:

i give it to Riley in his cereals thats it at the moment my friend gave there child cows milk at rileys age and hes fine think its personal preference really

Things have changed loads in the last few years - I was drinking cows milk (but still breastfed too) at 4 months...I say few years but obviously not that few :blush:

If he's having it in food anyway and has had no reaction to it I don't personally see any harm in small amounts but I think the main concerns are that it contains too much salt (or sodium) and not enough iron, so too much isn't good for them before their kidneys can handle the salt. Just found this...

Many babies can handle some dairy products when they are around 6 months old. However most countries recommend avoiding cow's milk as a drink during the baby's first year.

In the US, the general recommendation is to start with small servings of dairy products when the baby is 9 months old and to wait with cow's milk as a drink until the baby is 1 year old.

Skim-milk and low-fat milk products are foods to avoid completely for babies. They supply too much protein, potassium, and sodium and not enough calories for the growing infant. Children also need the fat for proper growth and development including brain development.

What can happen?
Infants fed whole cow's milk receive inadequate amounts of vitamin E, iron, and essential fatty acids. They also receive excessive amounts of protein, sodium, and potassium. These levels may be too high for the baby's system to handle. Additionally, whole cow's milk protein and fat are difficult for an infant to digest and absorb.

The most obvious effects are on iron levels in the body. Babies fed breast milk or iron fortified formula have normal iron levels. Recent studies show infants often have depleted levels when started on cow's milk at six months of age.

Also, some babies may not be able to handle the milk protein. If your baby throws up or has a stomach pain after consuming dairy products, contact a pediatrician to schedule an investigation.

(from https://www.easybabylife.com/foods-to-avoid.html)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->