Introducing finger foods at 10.5 months

despttc

DH,me and a gorgeous boy
Reaction score
Hi all
DS was weaned at 6 months with purees. We started other food stuffs by 9 months. He now eats almost every food stuff I eat; but I have to feed him. He is not interested in eating by himself and turns away when I try to make him eat with his hand. My fault, I know; should have introduced finger foods at 6 months. Anything I can do? Tia

Have you tried to put some purée on a spoon and the tray and let him hold the spoon and see if you can catch his interest enough to get some in? Start with something delicious? I've been making these little pancakes out of 1/2 cup mashed sweet potatoe and 2 eggs and 1/2 tsp of cinnamon, ginger and allspice. Sweet and delicious....maybe he'd pick up something like that?
Or just try to take the pressure off by feeding but also offering food to 'play' with at the same time?

Maybe start when NOT at the diner table. So put a plate of delicious "snacks" next to him while he plays - maybe something he usually wouldn't get e.g crisps or biscuit.

If you think he doesn't like getting his hands messy you could do more messy play with paint, cornflour etc.

Or you could be "busy" at meal time, so you give him a mouthful or two then start 'tidying' or something and if he complains say "In a minute sweetheart", then after a minute or so you can give him another bite, but then go back to being busy. If it is a favourite meal he may get fed up waiting and do it for himself?

I would try spoonloading. Put some porridge or yogurt or soup or something on a spoon, but hand it to him. Or just generally sit down with food in front of him and let him play. It's okay if he doesn't eat anything at a meal. He should still be getting plenty of milk on demand, so he won't go hungry. It's about learning the skill of eating and the quantity of food doesn't matter at his age. If he's truly hungry, he'll either work out how to feed himself or make up for it at his next milk feed. But often it's just about sitting on your hands a bit and not jumping in to help him, so that he can work the process out for himself. He'll get it, but it does take time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->