Introducing solids: A no for me, for now

suzan

Reaction score
Today was my son's 4 months check up. He weights 15.5 pounds & 25 inches long. He lies between 50th and 75th percentile.

He got his 4 month's vaccines, and he has been in pain ever since. Slept and cried a lot

I asked his doc if we could start rice cereal. She said 'no'.. she said its early. I thought she was gona say yes as lots give it at 4 months, but she said to wait till he is 6months I told her that DS seems to follow all requirements to starts solids like, holding his neck, eating more, seem more aware, etc. But she wouldnt allow me stating that it increases chances of food allergy and obesity Didnt know that! Is this true????? WTH??

Other than that everything is great

IMO obesity is based on a poor mindset regarding food, not because your parents weaned you early.

However a lot of articles do state that early weaning has something to do with allergies and obesity, i havent read much into it though, perhaps have a look around on the net for some studies :)

I think this thing with obesity is a bit scewed. If you wean earlier then it's logical that you child will need more to satisfy them as their tummy stretches and needs more to fill it. I dont think this means that they will be obese! I weaned Emily at 4 months (as was the guidelines back then) and Hebe started at 5 months. Emily is like a stick! Hebe is like a prop-forward/line backer already!! They are all different and if you have good eating habits your baby is likely to aswell.

I'm not saying ignore the doctor but you can be sensible about these things too. :D x

i had my hv telling me the same thing, when i said but surely all the veg is better for her than the milk, she back tracked and said, well this is the current guidelines. i weaned maddi when she was ready, and it was after 6months, though i would prefer to go by the baby as they are all different x x x

i started weaning jack at just gone 5 months but with my other 3 my oldest was 10 weeks & my other 2 were 4 months , but the way i look at it why do they put on boxes of food & tins of food from 4 months if you can,t spoon feed them untill there 6 months , i know they have to be at least 17 weeks . xx

i say trust your instincts... it's far more logical to let your baby show you the signs in my opinion. like pp said, obesity is more often than not an emotional problem as opposed to a physical problem. xx

I think you know whats best if your baby is showing signs it cant harm to try it .

Yeah there is research showing the link between giving solids too early and obesity, diabetes in adulthood, developing more allergies and digestive problems. I personally woud wait, if he's gaining and thriving on the formula/breastmilk then I wouldn't take the risk. Yeah it's fun to give them new things, that's why Iwanted to try with my first lol, but I would just wait just to be sure he's ready and it's during a safer time frame

I don't understand why people get caught up on this or that leading to obesity. There are so so many factors...I even heard on the other day that the amount of weight you gained during pregnancy could make a child obese :wacko:

I def agree there are alot of factors that lead to obesity, but it's not just obesity that is a concern when you start solids too early. The old recommendation was 4-6mo and it might be fine, but for them to change it there has to be a reason, i mean really if there wasn't they would keep it...makes people more money lol....I just think it's better not to take the risk if they are still satisfied with just formula or breastmilk

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->