Introduction and age question!

Tammy77

Reaction score
So I know that after 30 fertility begins to decline, and moreso "after 35". I'm currently 34, will be 35 in March. My DH is 31 and we are talking about starting to TTC (my 3rd, his 1st child) by February/March of 2012. I must preface by saying I'm slightly obsessive and have serious anxiety over whether we're taking a big risk or not re: putting TTC off another moment, much less months. I am heading in the right direction I think - losing weight (I want to get a good 20 lbs off at minimum, but I'll take all I can get off), eating right, taking prenatals already, and I have an appt tomorrow to meet with my new ob/gyn doctor. I'm going to have her fit me for a diaphragm and stop taking Yaz after this pack (I've been on it for 3+ yrs and haven't had a proper bleed for 1+ yr). I want to stop now, but DH would like us to practice with the new bc method for a bit just to get comfortable with it.

Once I stop the Yaz, I'll be charting so I can see what's up with my cycle. I realize though that ovulation doesn't equal easily becoming pregnant, but it's a good start. It'll also give me a chance to see what my LP is, etc. so I think I'm doing the right thing. It's just...ugh, I don't know. I can't ditch this feeling that we're playing chicken with time at my "advanced age", especially since DH has never had any kids (though he adamantly prevented, so it's not like he's ttc with anyone and failed). As a side note, my girls are almost 7 & 9. My first was a surprise and my second was conceived after 4 months of what I like to call "informed ttc" (charting, etc.). I just feel like since TEN (ugh) years have passed, it might not be so easy anymore.

Anyhow, more info than needed, but I haven't properly introduced myself so figured I'd make it a multi-purpose post!

The question? Oh yeah, I wanted to ask a question! I'm wondering if anyone has some insight in terms of how much of a difference there is between "almost 35" starting to ttc and "not 36 yet". Any thoughts? Sorry for rambling, I'm all over the place here! :blush:

It sounds as if you have all of your bases covered; but, there is no real answer to your question.

Fertility issues can happen for a woman in her 20s...age is just a factor, not an entire roadmap for one's reproductive status.

Fx'd.:flower:

Hi Tammy!

I'm 34, will be 35 in February, so we are the same age.

I am ttc #4.

Good luck!

I really don't think you should worry about "your advanced" age. 35 is hardly old! And I don't think that you are playing chicken if you are waiting a few months more. Your eggs won't turn bad in just that time. I know of mothers in their 20s who had both fertility problems and kids with Down Syndrom. I myself am 41, I am expecting twins and this is my first pregnancy. I had IUI done, not cause I have problems but cause my OH does.
One of my best friends had her first at 39 and her second at 41. She had no problem conceiving and both her boys are completely healthy. There are more and more older mothers nowadays and I don't think you even fall into that bracket. So you will be fine when you decide to try next year. Good luck to you and hopefully see you again then :)

Anyone who is still having periods and has not gone though menopause has a chance at conceiving naturally.

Hello,
I am 36 with a 17 yr old....ttc over 2 years and ntnp around 2.5 years. My oh has been checked out and is above average SA, next steps are checking me out! So you can see for me, the difference between 34-36 is no baby either way :nope: I understand not wanting to wait, good luck whatever you decide!

Hello,
I am 36 with a 17 yr old....ttc over 2 years and ntnp around 2.5 years. My oh has been checked out and is above average SA, next steps are checking me out! So you can see for me, the difference between 34-36 is no baby either way :nope: I understand not wanting to wait, good luck whatever you decide!

:hugs:

So I know that after 30 fertility begins to decline, and moreso "after 35". I'm currently 34, will be 35 in March. My DH is 31 and we are talking about starting to TTC (my 3rd, his 1st child) by February/March of 2012. I must preface by saying I'm slightly obsessive and have serious anxiety over whether we're taking a big risk or not re: putting TTC off another moment, much less months. I am heading in the right direction I think - losing weight (I want to get a good 20 lbs off at minimum, but I'll take all I can get off), eating right, taking prenatals already, and I have an appt tomorrow to meet with my new ob/gyn doctor. I'm going to have her fit me for a diaphragm and stop taking Yaz after this pack (I've been on it for 3+ yrs and haven't had a proper bleed for 1+ yr). I want to stop now, but DH would like us to practice with the new bc method for a bit just to get comfortable with it.

Once I stop the Yaz, I'll be charting so I can see what's up with my cycle. I realize though that ovulation doesn't equal easily becoming pregnant, but it's a good start. It'll also give me a chance to see what my LP is, etc. so I think I'm doing the right thing. It's just...ugh, I don't know. I can't ditch this feeling that we're playing chicken with time at my "advanced age", especially since DH has never had any kids (though he adamantly prevented, so it's not like he's ttc with anyone and failed). As a side note, my girls are almost 7 & 9. My first was a surprise and my second was conceived after 4 months of what I like to call "informed ttc" (charting, etc.). I just feel like since TEN (ugh) years have passed, it might not be so easy anymore.

Anyhow, more info than needed, but I haven't properly introduced myself so figured I'd make it a multi-purpose post!

The question? Oh yeah, I wanted to ask a question! I'm wondering if anyone has some insight in terms of how much of a difference there is between "almost 35" starting to ttc and "not 36 yet". Any thoughts? Sorry for rambling, I'm all over the place here! :blush:

Welcome to BnB!

I think you're off to a great start. You're being proactive and really doing your best to cover all the bases. The only thing I would add is, when you go to your new dr, ask him/her to run your Day 3 bloods - primarily you want to check your FSH and AMH levels. Those will tell you exactly where your ovaries stand and help you make a well-informed decision as to how long you feel comfortable waiting to ttc.

We started ttc our first when I was 35, and we conceived in the first month of trying. Unfortunately we lost that baby, but conception happens. Don't let the horror stories scare you - base your decision on what YOUR hormones are doing, not someone else's. :hugs:

Good luck! :flower:

Thank you for all of the helpful responses! I just had my pre-con appt today and I think it went pretty well! She prescribed the diaphragm (ugh hate that fitting part), folic acid 1mg and prenatals, though I'm not sure why she prescribed the prenatals since I'm already taking otc ones. :shrug:

I'm looking forward to TTC! I started temping as of this morning and sweet DH is being so involved that he offered to put it on my chart because I was running late. All in all a pretty great day so far! :thumbup:

Thank you for all of the helpful responses! I just had my pre-con appt today and I think it went pretty well! She prescribed the diaphragm (ugh hate that fitting part), folic acid 1mg and prenatals, though I'm not sure why she prescribed the prenatals since I'm already taking otc ones. :shrug:

I'm looking forward to TTC! I started temping as of this morning and sweet DH is being so involved that he offered to put it on my chart because I was running late. All in all a pretty great day so far! :thumbup:

The Rx prenantals have more iron than what is allowed OTC. Glad it went so well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->