Iodine supplements - Should I freak that I have not been taking them?>

butterfly23

Reaction score
For the last 4 months I have been taking folic acid supplements in a multivit. I didn't want to pay the extra for the TTC ones and I have just realised that the ones I was taking have no Iodine whatsoever.

DH and I are the supercareful type and if the Iodine is a big deal we will push the TTC attempts back by a few months...

My question is: Is Iodine something to be used whilst TTC or just whilst pregnant?

It can cause thyroid issues if you are low but I think iodine deficiency is rare in the West. I think in th US most salt is fortified with iodine and sea salt has it naturally.

you would have to consume an entire BOX of iodized salt a DAY to meet your proper iodine requirements.

Lugol's iodine is what they recommend.

Dr Brownstein in Michigan is the leading advocate for iodine supplementation

Here is an EXCELLENT link

https://www.mnwelldir.org/docs/nutrition/brownstein.htm

From the World Health Organization:

Iodine Deficiency is the world’s most prevalent – yet easily preventable – cause of brain damage. Today we are on the verge of eliminating it – an achievement that will be hailed as a major public health triumph, ranking together with smallpox and poliomyelitis.

Iodine deficiency disorders (IDD) jeopardize children’s mental health – often their very lives. They start before birth. Serious iodine deficiency during pregnancy may result in stillbirths, abortions and congenital abnormalities such as cretinism, a grave, irreversible form of mental ******ation that affects people living in iodine-deficient areas of Africa and Asia. However, of far greater global and economic significance is IDD’s less visible, yet more pervasive, level of mental impairment that lowers intellectual prowess at home, at school and at work.

Miaculpa, I was surprised to hear you say that, as it was the opposite of what I have heard. So I did a check on Wikipidia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iodine_deficiency

So, I would not worry if you live in the West and use iodized salt or sea salt. I imagine but have not checked that most prenatals may contain it as well. I know it has been in mine in the past, not sure about the current one. If yours does not have it, you could switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->