• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Iron tablets making me feel like crap

RainbowDrop_x

Reaction score
I started on iron tablets that were prescribed by my gp about a week and half ago and ever since I’ve been taking them I’ve felt like utter rubbish.

I’ve gone from being constipated to having loose stools all the time. I’ve started getting headaches that I never had a problem with before and random dizzy spells that last about 30 seconds but leave me feeling so sick after.

Just wondered if anyone else had any similar experiences with iron tablets. Ive been on iron tablets for all 3 of my pregnancies but I don’t recall feeling this shit with the other 2.

I am actually on liquid iron and have been sick of it a few times ! It generally makes me feel sickly!

How many are you taking a day ? I was prescribed 3 a day until he then told me I needed the liquid one (apparently it gets into your blood stream quicker ) . My GP told me if I got constipated etc just to take one tablet a day .

Maybe speak to your GP/midwife see if you can change to either liquid or if there’s anything else you can do .

Love my liquid version of iron. Whilst preg im taking the vitabiotics pregnancy new liquid version they do. Liquid iron is for me very effective and natural and doesnt cause me any problems. Tablets used to xx

I am actually on liquid iron and have been sick of it a few times ! It generally makes me feel sickly!

How many are you taking a day ? I was prescribed 3 a day until he then told me I needed the liquid one (apparently it gets into your blood stream quicker ) . My GP told me if I got constipated etc just to take one tablet a day .

Maybe speak to your GP/midwife see if you can change to either liquid or if there’s anything else you can do .

I’m on 3 tablets a day. Same dose as my other 2 pregnancies but I had no side effects at all when I was on them before so this is all new to me. It’s the dizziness more than anything. I spoke to my MW today and she said to take them at night and see if that helps as hopefully they’ll kick in whilst I’m asleep as I’d been taking 1 tablet 3 times a day as that’s what I did before. Constipation hasn’t been an issue at all in fact (TMI) I’m often on the loo with diarrhoea since starting them!

Love my liquid version of iron. Whilst preg im taking the vitabiotics pregnancy new liquid version they do. Liquid iron is for me very effective and natural and doesnt cause me any problems. Tablets used to xx

A friend of mine said the liquid iron was brilliant when she was on it and that it caused her no trouble at all. I’ll look into it if taking them at night like the MW has suggested doesn’t help. I know it’s not the end of the world to feel a bit rubbish but it sucks anyway!

Iron tablets make me feel icky so I stick with the liquid iron too. I’ve never had problems with the liquid. X

I was taking iron as well during pregnancy and it gave me the worst diarrhea and sulfur burps.

As others have said, you might have better success with the liquid forms.

Personally, now that I'm postpartum, I am not taking iron supplementation, even though when I left the hospital my hemoglobin was 7.8 (they recommended I get a transfusion but it wasn't a have to). I did lose a lot more blood. I tried to take the iron again but it made my bowels go back to explosive and I was pretty much done with that.

For now I am eating a lot more iron-rich foods, my numbers were up to 9.8 at 2 months pp, so I know it is working albeit slowly.

I am on Iron as well. I take a plant based one that is 65 MG and I am supposed to take it twice a day but only take it once a day. I am not having issues with it but am having some bathroom fun lately. Not sure if it is the iron though or just part of the pregnancy progressing process. I also have bouts of dizziness all day but I know my blood pressure can get low. I know this isn't helpful for what you posted probably but my dizziness lasts longer than 30 seconds and I wonder if it is from the increase of blood and hormones we have going on?

I’ve been switched to iron tablets now instead ! Actually don’t feel as sick ! Doctor also told me to take at night .

It’s crap needing something that makes you feel even worse

I took my midwifes advise and started taking them at night and so far that seems to have done the trick. I’m still exhausted but guessing that’s just par for the course now

I took my midwifes advise and started taking them at night and so far that seems to have done the trick. I’m still exhausted but guessing that’s just par for the course now

I’ve been taking my iron tablets of a morning so far been ok since switching from liquid ! Still feel the same as you though ! Last few weeks ! Glad you found something that worked !

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amama
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->