Iron?

wish4baby

Reaction score
Do you give your baby iron supplements?

We skipped rice cereal, and are doing mostly BLW. I try to be sure to offer her spinach or pinto beans (or black/kidney/Lima beans) a few times a week, but she doesn't eat meat or breads yet. She loves beans, but I don't think she actually swallows much (and even less spinach).
She's almost 7 months, breastfed since birth (still going strong!)...I'm thinking I may have to get vitamin drops with iron & Vit D but I'd rather she got it from her foods. What do you think?

Following...I've been wondering the same thing as I skipped rice cereal too

I never did but it isn't something that gets recommended in New Zealand.

The iron in iron fortified cereals is so poorly absorbed that it doesn't make any sense to me anyway. I fed my wee ones lots of beef etc.

Foods high in vitamin C help iron to absorb.

We got pamphlets about iron sources, and haem versus non-haem iron at 6 months.

I've been doing a lot of reading & research on this since I originally posted. Based on what I've learned, I decided NOT to give an iron supplement nor will I give her iron fortified foods (I.e., cereal). It can interfere with the natural breastmilk iron absorption...apparently breastmilk is lower in iron, but it is very readily absorbed by baby!
I am just going to offer her lots of iron rich foods.
And I dont know if it'll really help, but I will eat a high iron diet myself & take my iron + prenatal vitamin more regularly.

Going through same exact thing. Seven month old primarily breastfed with some solids. We are trying lots of high iron foods (NOT synthetic iron fortified) including bone broth. Pediatrician friend of mine has a baby same age and is doing the same. So scary to go against what our pediatrician says but the party line doesn't make sense. Good luck and keep doing yr own research!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->