Is ALDI really cheaper?

SmartieMeUp

Mum of 2 girls.
Reaction score
I've been swapping my shopping list with so many places trying to find best deals - I've managed to knock it down to £60 with Tesco + £8(!!!!!!!!!!) delivery Saturday.

I live 30 mins walk from ALDI (or 2 bus journeys) and I was wondering if it was worth cancelling my order and shopping there? Are items hit and miss around this time of year?

Aldi is hell lol. Might be an unpopular opinion but I think it’s okay only if you really don’t mind what you are buying.. as in not fussed about what brand of beans you want etc We shop in Lidl often (so I’m not just being a snob lol) I find Aldi is just lots of unbranded foods. However the veg/fruit is good value :) our Aldi is hell though, it’s mayhem in there and that’s not at xmas that’s all year. So maybe I’ve not given it the full chance, you’ll find it’s cheaper because you won’t physically be able to find half your list. My mil shops in Aldi weekly but has to top it up with an Asda shop “because they have limited choice “

Personally I think, yes it is noticeably cheaper. I actually love the limited selection it means it takes a lot less time! We buy their cereal, pasta, rice, bread, fruit and veg, meats, milk, yoghurt, nappies and washing powder and it's all really good. They also do lovely stir fry kits which we eat most weeks. I've not tried Lidl.

I switched to aldi this year. I love it. Takes me half hour to do a weeks shop. They dont have a huge range but i can usually find what i need. Only thing they dont do that i have to go to asda for is wildlifechoobs, but asda is literally across the road. I now manage to do a full weeks food shop inc crap we dont need , lunchbox bits and breakfasts and dinner for £50. Sometimes slightly over because i always end up picking non food bits like pjs and toys up.

I love Aldi! We switched years ago and saved a lot of money. They have a good range of foods and it's all good quality. Their special buys are quite good too :)

Based on these responses I don’t seem to have given it a fair chance then. I honestly can't move in our Aldi though. Even midweek the line for the tills are backed up into the isles etc. I might try driving to one further away :)

Based on these responses I don’t seem to have given it a fair chance then. I honestly can't move in our Aldi though. Even midweek the line for the tills are backed up into the isles etc. I might try driving to one further away :)

We have 2. The old one i hate, massive amounts of waiting at tills. The new one is fab, they actually follow the " if you are waiting past this point we will open up a new till" signs they have. There are times to avoid, for me its after 2 on a sunday, but anyother time i have been it has been fine. Worth trying a different store.

It is very popular. I dread going when it's busy! Towards the beginning of the week seems to be quieter although at this time of year it's packed constantly!

I do like Aldi, but for Christmas I've gone with Asda because they deliver.
Our Aldi is a nightmare to park and it's difficult to get the feel for it the first few to (I remember being told off for not using the packing bench)
We now use Aldi every week but still pop to Asda here and there for some bits you can't get in Aldi!

At least it's all positive. Brands don't really bother me, I shop homebrand a lot of the time when possible. I normally spend £70ish a week at ASDA plus extra when getting washing bits and nappies.

So it might be worth cancelling Tesco then? It's for my Christmas shop mostly - having lamb, gammon and chicken. Cheese boards, crackers and little munches/snacks.

I loooove Aldi and my closest one has some amazing Christmas stuff in. Bought a massive chocolate truffle tree the other day and it looks like it’s come from M&S!

Their food is really nice as well and noticeably cheaper :thumbup:

I always shop in Aldi, it's soo much cheaper! I went this morning and it wasn't too busy.

I can get most things I need there, but I do like my branded beans, ketchup, etc, so I go to Sainsburys now and again for those.

We have saved a lot by going to Aldi especially their nappies . Pull ups and wipes some things I just don’t like from there we got cod fiscakes and the pasta sauce it was disgusting lol .

I’d say give it a try! I get most things from there now for DD1s packed lunches plus fruit and veg, cakes , meats ! So much cheaper than going to ASDA which is a 20 minute walk for me . Luckily we have an Aldi 5 minute walk away !

I really don’t like Aldi. Lidl I will shop in though.

I like Aldi, wouldnt say i love it purely because i do have to buy certain things we cant get in tesco or asda. I stopped shopping inn Aldi recently for my main shop because i was struggling to do all the packing at the end while it was mobbed and 6 months + pregnant. Basically i use asda or tesco now so i can scan and shop and its much easier for me. Once i am no longer pregnant (may seem a bit pathetic i know) i will return to Aldi for our main shop although i seem to spend about £60/70 a week on the big shop regardless i think i am just more ruthless when in Asda cause i know it doesnt stretch as far!

I’m in the US and Aldi is quite a bit cheaper. Unfortunately they don’t always have everything, so I either have to do 2 stops, or just make do with only what they have. (It varies to some extent.)

If you have to do all that travelling I really don’t think it will be worth it.

Definitely cheaper but less choice n there's certain things they don't have. I like asda etc because i can grab bits of clothing that the kids might need, or get a pizza made up or a new CD etc. Everything's under one roof. And aldi is a pita for having to bag your bag afterwards, they scan so quickly I get a sweat on and have palpitations. But yes, alot cheaper.
I drive so usually get what I need from there and hit asda after for the rest. I wish aldi delivered..

We love Aldi! A shop can cost us double at least in Tesco for the same things we get from Aldi. I must admit we don’t get absolutely everything from there. I don’t like their washing up liquid as much as fairy liquid and I don’t get their own brand baked beans but apart from that I think everything is great!
Follow savvy shoppers cook book on instagram for fab Aldi meal ideas and full weekly planners she’s a blogger who’s got a book out on Aldi based budget meals, it’s only about a fiver on amazon and she blogs about it too xx

ETA: there’s 3 by me within a couple miles. The one I will never shop in it’s chaos at all times and hardly and choice. If I’d shopped there th first time o tried I never would’ve returned but my usual one I love. So I guess it depends on your store too.
I also love Lidl if you have a local one of those x

I wouldnt cancel your xmas one but in future id give it a try. I spend about £55 per week for a family of 5 and this includes nappies, wipes and i always have some random house item like washing detergent that i need. Id say its easy as theres alot less choice and they dont really do deals so you cant get sucked into impulse buys.

You can get many things for under £1
Bread (nice thick bread) - 55p
4 squeezy yoghurts £79p
10 pack of ham 79p
Then canned items like spaghetti beans etc for about 14p-25p
I definately soend alotttt less than asda as i find majority of things in asda are roughly £1 or more aldi have many things less and iv often got fruits for as little as 29p

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->