Is anyone able to offer some reassurance

Anais

Reaction score
Hello ladies,

I am 38 and ttc no. 1. My partner and I have been not trying/not preventing for the last few months without any luck. I haven't spoken to my doctor properly about my chances at this age & would really appreciate any reasurrance that you girls have been given by anyone in the medical field. Surely we still have good chance if our periods are regular?

One change that I have noticed in my body over the years is the lack of mucus. Sorry for TMI but I used to get heaps throughout the month when younger but now barely anything except maybe a bit around ovulation time. Would this have any affect on my fertility.

Anyway, ANY advice or reassurance would be wonderful! :baby:

I think 38 is still pretty young ttc wise but everybody is different.
It does not hurt to get a general check up and look at your thyroid, progesterone and estrogen levels.
A few months is not much time honestly - so I would not be panicking by any means:flower:
Just as a time saver do some basic health checks and maybe a S/A on your partner. That can save time down the road.
For CM I have heard green tea is good but I stay away because it can deplete folic acid and as I have an absorption problem, I need all I can get.
Also Robitussin not sure which one people take but you can google it.
Are you checking internally - sometimes I need to to find mine.
Take appropriate vits, try to stress as little as possible and most important bd in your fertile time leading up to Ov. I track cm and use opk's.
To be sure you are ovulating get a 7 day (I think) prog test.
:dust:

Hi :hi:
I have no advice for FS about age and TTC.

I would look at taking evening primrose oil to help with your cm. Having EWCM is very important in helping keep the sperm safe and delivered to the right place.

Each cycle you only have a small chance of getting pregnant and that is with no problems and doing everything right.

Here is some info I found on fertility after 35
https://infertility.about.com/od/causesofinfertility/a/pregnantafter35.htm

Good luck. I would start working on your CM and taking your prenatal. :flower:

ETA- Green tea has been excellent in helping me too with CM.

Do you use OPKs or anything? We TTC for 15 months but just kind of tried to guess at when was the best time, I was 38 when we started and 3 months of turning 30 when we finally got our very first BFP. Unfortuanely that ended in a missed miscarriage a few weeks before my 40th. When we started TTC again about 4 months later, I bought a clearblue fertility monitor just to at least be aware of when I was ovulating. I didn't want to put too much pressure on so didn't do the whole temping thing and multiple OPKs, just once a day with the CBFM.

It did make me more aware of where I was in my cycle and we had 3 BFPS in 13 months, 2 were chemicals and the final resulted in this little one that is currently stretching be beyond belief .. but I wouldn't have it any other way.

For me, I would have made myself much more aware of my cycles much earlier and sought tests earlier as well, just to confirm everything is ok and it isn't something that is easily fixed now but maybe not so easy a few more years down the line. As it is I left tests until I was 41, I think I was in denial, but they all came back fine.

Good luck

Gingersnap gave you some really good advice.

Go to your doc and have some routine bloodwork done. They can do fertility labs on cd3 and 7dpo. That can be helpful.

I really wouldn't worry too much about not conceiving yet. You only have 15% chance with each cycle to conceive. It's normal to take up to a year, but you should seek help if you've gotten past 6 months when you're over 35. This is just because you have less time to work with, not necessarily b/c you're expected to conceive in that time.

Good luck.

Welcome Anais :hi:

I too am 38 and have been experiencing the same decrease in cm. Last month I tried taking Robitussin and drinking more water...it turned out to be quite effective in my case so perhaps it may be worth a try. You just have to be sure not to take the Robitussin DM...stick to the one where the only medical ingredient is guaifenesin. Aside from that I am also using preseed which I incidently give a :thumbup:

As previously mentioned, getting some standard tests done is also a great idea. I haven't been TTC for all that long but am sending my DH for an SA if we don't get our BFP this month. It never hurts to get the ball rolling and make sure there isn't anything standing in the way and wasting time.

Aside from that, OPKs, temping and supplements are all great additions to the TTC arsenal :flower:

There is definitely a plethora of information on this forum and all the girls are just lovely! If you have a question just ask away and everyone lines up to help :happydance:

I refuse to think that just because I'm 38 that I'm out of the game and my dreams for a baby are as dried up as my cooter :haha: Keep your chin up and try to have fun on the journey

I refuse to think that just because I'm 38 that I'm out of the game and my dreams for a baby are as dried up as my cooter :haha: Keep your chin up and try to have fun on the journey

:haha::rofl: This made me LOL!

There's some really great advice here and I can only add to what's already been said by giving another :thumbup: to preseed. And I agree when checking your CM sometimes you need to have a good rootle up there because it's not always obvious.

GL!

Thank you so much ladies for your advice and support. I will definitely get myself some evening primrose oil to help with the cervical mucus. I guess I could have more up there which I'm not seeing, I don't find it that easy to get fingers up there to check! Has anyone used anything else to check?

I´m drinking grapefruit juice to help with CM, although that is an excuse because I like drinking it and it is a bit expensive here.
No way 38 is too old and the girls are right it can take a while, a year is pretty average time to try. Having said that I would find out for sure when you ovulate and try then and i hope you don´t have to wait that long.

I´m drinking grapefruit juice to help with CM, although that is an excuse because I like drinking it and it is a bit expensive here.
No way 38 is too old and the girls are right it can take a while, a year is pretty average time to try. Having said that I would find out for sure when you ovulate and try then and i hope you don´t have to wait that long.

I tried grapefruit juice this cycle and it certainly helped :thumbup:. There's also other stuff you can try what from I've read, worth doing a forum search on here to see what other ladies have found helpful.

I love concieve + for helping with cm - I used it for the first time this cycle (along with softcups). Don't use too much tho or it'll feel like throwing a sausage down the channel tunnel. A little goes a long way ;)

I love concieve + for helping with cm - I used it for the first time this cycle (along with softcups). Don't use too much tho or it'll feel like throwing a sausage down the channel tunnel. A little goes a long way ;)

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

hi im a little bit of a cheat as im turning 35 this month so perhaps i will be booted off this section"! but ive read it can take a year to conceive and if you are as healthy as you can be im sure it will happen i have friends who are older then me and have caught after a year of trying and less in fact, i think its also possible to get really caught up with monitors and ovulation times etc sure it will happen for you:thumbup:

:haha: That is true though, the syringe thing they give you with preseed puts so much in it oh is in danger of slipping out and sliding off the bed altogether! I tied putting a bit in the softcup before sex and letting it work after we have finished bd, less complaints like that.

:haha: Thanks for the tip!

I turn 38 next month so hoping 38 is not too old! I know others my age that have conceived on the first try. I also noticed the lack of CM and tried many things over the past year with no success - grapefruit juice, evening primose oil, robutussin, etc. And last month boom, I had a few noticeable danglers while on the toilet. I don't know if it was just time or not but I was also taking Vitex that month which is supposed to help in hormone balancing.

Also others have mentioned testing - but get your partner's sperm checked out first. Its easy to do and it could just as easily be his problem and not yours.

:dust: to both of us!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"