Is anyone doing the perineal massage or having your hubby do this?

monte3375

Reaction score
Does it help?

If so, when do you start doing that?

I planned on starting at 34 weeks, with DH helping me. 34 weeks was yesterday... oops! I'd better get on with it, I suppose!

We did it on the weekend, ahhhhh! I hope it's worth it cuz it gives me the heebie jeebies when there's any pressure back there.

I did it with my first two, and am planning on it this time although haven't got round to it yet and im nearly 37 weeks, I think it is worth it as I only had a tiny tear with my first which healed with no issues and not a lot of soreness, and nothing what so ever with my 2nd! I had my hubby do it for me with my 2nd as it is easier!

Well, I'm here to say I didn't do it with my first, and I had a horrible tear :(. I needed internal and external stitches! Yuck! So I learned my lesson and want to do it this time around. I don't know when to start and how often and such either, so I am reading responses as well. I would definitely recommend trying it. It can't hurt anything! I wish I did with my first :(

im undecided, someplaces i read say its worth doing, others not so much.
i suppose they have no way of telling if someone would have been saved a tear if they did do it. some midwives online say they recommend not doing it.
i would get OH to do it if i am doin it, i dont know i fi could even reach it now, let alone know what im up to :) but im still undecided :)
il stalk here and see what people think :)

i did with my dd and had a slight labial graze, nothing exciting so i plan on doing it again this time starting around 34-35 weeks.

Might sound naive here but how do you do it?? Do you use oil or anything?? Iv heard mixed reviews about it too x

i used warm oil last time, i cant remember exactly which but it was either almond or olive oil. x

I've never done it and had slight tears both times. I'm thinking ill be like the frickin euro tunnel down there now so don't really need to lol. I couldn't bear the feeling of it I reckon, I'm so weird about stuff like that. Good luck with it though xx

I plan on doing it. If nothing else than to get the area used to that feeling so it's not such a shock when the baby moves on through :p

I was planning on doing it but upon doing research I found out it supposedly only decreases your risk of tear by 5-7%! I think I'll just go without as this is my first pregnancy and see how we make out ... fingers crossed :)

More and more research is pointing to no positive benefits. My friends midwives has advised her against it.

The only research I read that pointed to any benefits said there was only benefits for first time vaginal births basically. And even then, it's a reduction in the chance of tearing, not a guarantee. This is my first baby though, so according to that research it could be worth a shot. Doctors in my area are very episiotomy-happy, especially for first births, so I've told my doctor under no circumstances do I want an episiotomy as a routine procedure and I'll try perineal massage as the compromise basically.

im still so in 2 minds :) i went readin about it again yest after ur post and could only ifnd that it gave 9% extra chance of not havin a tear, they took a big group of women and split um in 2, but 9% isnt a big difference , could be accounted for with just luck........ im pretty squeamish about it for some strange reason, might still get OH to do it later on, like maybe few times after 36 weeks or something.
i dont think im flexible enough to do it myself either, cos ive hip and back pain too.
then im a wee bit afraid Oh would be too rough, it did say u can be too rough and cause swelling too, maybe il leave it like bethi22 and hope for the best :)

I can't seem to reach down there properly and since I have no one to volunteer I hope that the people who say it doesn't make any difference are right. Honestly I'm not sure that it would. I've been trying to kegal, although I can't honestly get that much into that either. I just feel daft doing it and I'm not sure that I'm accomplishing anything. lol.

ive started doin the kegels lately alright, the more real birth is seeming, the more i do um :) i dont think il do perineal massage, it sounds like a lot of effort for no proof of working. plus i dont like the idea of it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->