Is art work?

marley2580

Reaction score
https://www.opendemocracy.net/ourki...ketchpads-and-cameras-on-uk-borders-agency’s-

Artists and musicians have been refused entry to the UK as they don't have work permits despite the 'work' they were doing being unpaid.
The message of the UKBA to non-EU visiting artists: you are welcome to visit, but you’re not allowed to be an artist while you’re here.

US Photographer Alec Soth was threatened by UKBA, and told that he could face imprisonment for 2 years should he be caught taking photographs for an exhibition commissioned by Brighton Photo Biennial. He ingeniously got around these rules by getting his 7 year old daughter to take his photographs.

So is art, even unpaid, work?

Ooooh, good question!

I would say yes. It falls under the dictionary definition, and even if unpaid, can lead to earning money by building a reputation.

If its unpaid they are not helping the economy therefore its not officially work is it? :)
If they want to class themselves as tourists or students then so be it. I guess they need to apply in a different way.

My brother went to school for drawing and painting, while he doesn't get paid for everything he does, why wouldnt it still be work? He spends time on it and went to school for it, I consider that work.

But should he need a work visa to enter a country?

I suppose if he were going there strictly for art and wanted to make money off of it yes, if he was just going there for a vacation but wanted to bring a long a sketch book and pencil just in case he saw something he wanted to draw for his own collection, no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->