Is bleeding common in late pregnancy?

Babushka

Reaction score
I'm 36 weeks pregnant & I noticed bright red blood in the toilet bowl a few days ago and more when I wiped. I was already at the hospital for an appointment so they hooked me up to their machine (CTG?) and monitored bubs, everything was great with her & I was having no contractions. The midwife used a speculum on me and put it down to thrush as there was discharge on it afterwards. I have also been having minor irritation there too.

I used the loo again at about 2am that night and noticed more bleeding. OH & I didn't have penetrative sex but I did have an orgasm so I'm not sure if that made my cervix more sensitive. I then used the thrush applicator to put more cream in myself, and a lot of blood came out when I removed it. I probably lost about 1/2 cup of blood that night so went to the hospital at 6.00am. Whilst there they monitored bubs and myself again, everything great. The doctor came in after a few hours and had a look at me, he put it down to my cervix being irritated from the thrush & didn't think I needed a scan or further treatment. I was sent home & told use a thrush pessary without the applicator.

Overnight and this morning I have stained panty liners brown blood & a clot came out when I sneezed this morning. I rang hospital and midwife assured me that all is ok & the cervix is very soft and full of blood when pregnant.

It is now afternoon and I'm having bright red blood again!

Sorry for long post but I'm not sure whether to go with what the hospital is saying or if I should be more worried. Is bleeding really common in late pregnancy? Please help.

As far as I'm aware it's not that common but your midwife is right that the cervix is very sensitive and there is a lot of blood flow in that area which I imagine can make things look very dramatic.

As you are clearly still worried (and bleeding) I'd give them another call, ask them to let you know at what point they would want you back in (i.e. bleeding for a certain amount of time, or a certain amount of blood, or accompanied with cramps etc) so you know what signs to look out for.

I'm sure everything is fine but it's always best to be reassured by the pro's :hugs:

It doesnt sound normal to me... no bleeding in pregnancy is "normal" though. Is it heavy heavy bleeding?

Nope. I was always told to go to MA with any fresh blood. Blood tinged mucus is ok if you are full term but wiping fresh blood, no way x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->