Is breastfeeding ever completely pain free?

Luvmysunshine

Reaction score
Hello ladies,

This is my third child but the first that I am successful at EBF. My lo is 5 weeks today. There has been ups and downs as far as pain goes. Sometimes my nips hurt just a little other times a lot. It's never been painless. It won't stop me from EBF. I just grin and bear it. I'm just wondering if it's ever without some pain for my nipples. My lo is an extremely efficient sucker. Even his ped noted how strong his suck was the day he was born. I think he's the reason we've been so successful. It's just that I kinda dread each feeding a little bc I know it will hurt. His latch is great. Don't think its that. Usually one nipple hurts more than the other in any given day. I use lansinoh ointment that helps a little. Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

I don't have any pain when feeding. All pain stopped after about 2 weeks. Have you tried different positions? It took my LO a while to find a position she really liked and then the pain stopped. I know you say he is an efficient sucker but I don't think that necessarily means he will have a good latch. In fact, I imagine if he's that strong a sucker then even a few seconds not being latched correctly could be what's agitating your nipples.

I used breast milk on my nipples when they hurt and would then let them air dry before using lansinoh. If I'm honest I think it was the fresh air that helped the most xx

I had pain the first week pumping when LO was in the NICU, and when we quit using the nipple shields at 10 weeks, but other than that, it's not painful. (He just sprouted a tooth though...I wonder when he might try biting!).

Perhaps it is a latch issue of some kind? I know when LO gets sleepy and lets my nipple slip out and then tries to keep eating, it can be a bit painful.

Hmm. For me all nipple pain eased at around 2 weeks and completely went by about 3/4 weeks. My LO also has a ridiculously strong suck but it doesn't hurt in the slightest. Have you had his latch checked just to be sure? Has the pain gradually decreased over time, or is it still as bad as it ever was?

The pain is definitely less than when we started but it seems to come and go on different nipples. So maybe it is latch. I've been careful to not let him latch until there is enough in his mouth. It seems to hurt more when my breasts are not really full, if that makes sense. After letdown the pain often eases but is not gone. I also have this pulling pain on one side of my back no matter what posture I'm in. It hurts more when pumping. Maybe I'm doing this all wrong. Idk. He gains 1.5 to 2 oz a day. So I know he's getting what he needs. Maybe my mechanics are all off. Thanks so much for your help ladies.

Nipple pain went after 3 weeks or so for me though I got awful let down pain/cramp till around 8 weeks

I had nipple pain for approx 6-8 weeks and I wish I'd sought professional breastfeeding support earlier as it can be extremely difficult to tell if the latch is really good and how to go about improving it.
I had painful fast letdown and engorgement at least once per day for the whole year I bf but I wouldn't have thought that's normal.
Xx

The only time I felt pain nursing is when we had a thrush infection between us! Make sure that's not the case, the pain can get very bad, very quickly! And there were no symptoms except pain (for me) when nursing.

I had pain for around 4 months, but it was cause bub was only small. I also had 2 bouts of thrush, but now feeding is painless. You will get thorough it :hugs:

you could also check for tongue tie as that can cause you pain. And get your latch checked by LC just to make sure that its not that.

Thank you ladies. I'll see about getting his latch checked. It's just good to know that it can be painless.

My first week was awful but the 2nd week improved a lot and was literally pain free!! Except over the past few days my right breast has been hurting. But massage and using warm water bottle before nursing helped!

i second the comments on thrush! we have just been diagnosed and treated, and have noticed the pain decrease almost immediately - my LO had no white spots, and I just had a pain that would come and go, as well as itchy slightly red nipples.

My LO is currently being treated for thrush too. I had no pain with it but LO reached a point where she screamed and refused to feed and it turned out to be thrush despite her mouth not looking too white (tongue is a bit white). Please check for that as things went down hill very quickly for my LO and having her refuse to eat for a day and nearly be admitted to hospital to get fluids may have been the most horrendous day of my life xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->