Is breastfeeding supported in the UK - Im an expat returning

zorak

Reaction score
HI,

I am curious, how supported is breastfeeding really in the UK. Both by the medical profession and general public.

The reason I ask is I am Scottish but currently live in California. On facebook all the new mums from Scotland I know seem to formula feed and wean really early whereas the people I know living in California breastfeed and wait until 6 months to wean.

I breastfed my first and he had both a tongue and lip tie at birth which had it been left would have been the end of breastfeeding for us because I found it so painful; but the hospital in California acted really quickly and both were snipped within 5 days of birth. I also had loads of access to lactation consultants etc. No 2 will be born in California but we are moving back to the UK when he will be around 6 weeks old.

I've always found health visitors and doctors to be supportive. It is promoted heavily but there's still a high percentage who bottle feed. It depends where you are I think whether bf outnumbers ff or not. Where are you moving to? NCT is helpful for getting to meet like minded people and for bf support.
I've never experienced any negativity for feeding in public though. Only nice comments and staff offering to get glasses of water, for example. Doesn't happen every time but as I say, never any negativity xx

Thanks! We will be in the Greater Glasgow area, not sure exactly where yet.

It is officially supported but culturally bottle feeding is still more normalised. If you are having issues though you should find health professionals are willing to try to help rather than advise formula, but it is just luck whether you get a well informed pro. Free help can be sought from NCT, LLL, ABM etc.

I'm in the UK and found everyone to be very supportive. They even have breastfeeding peer supporters now which midwives/HV's can send round to your home if needed :)

I used to live in Glasgow and stayed there when DS1 was born. I found that BF was both socially and medically supported. I had easy access to a BF consultant, and pretty much everyone I knew had at least tried to BF (with varying degrees of success!). There are groups in every area; most met at local libraries or community/medical centres. I regularly fed in public and actually had staff offer me water, and never had anyone react negatively. I live right on the West coast of Scotland now and its exactly the same here! Even though FF is still more common, I think more and more women are trying to BF, and for every woman trying it becomes more and more the social norm. Good luck with your move to Glasgow!

Same as buddyIV, I also used to live in Glasgow and am now in Ayrshire. If you want to ask anything please feel free to pm x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->