Is Ellis a feminine male name?

c.m.c

3 daughters 🌸🌸🌸
Reaction score
I talked about the name Ellis for a boy with DH years ago and he always thinks its a Girly name

I love it but can kinda see his point:dohh:

What does everyone else think?

It means 'the Lord Is my God' which makes me love it even more then ....I'm confused about it now

I think its quite a soft sounding name but not girly- that said i have 2 friends who have a child called Ellis and ones a boy and ones a girl. I like it for either sex :)

I really like Ellis and don't see it as girly at all. Maybe you could man it up a bit by using Ellison?? X

I only know of one Ellis, she's a girl so that influences it for me. I do see it as feminine but I'd still use it for a boy!

my exs name, he always got called Ellie which I guess is girly but as a person he wasnt

I only know one Ellis and he is a man so I view it as a male name but not necessarily masculine.

Well my name is Ellie and i've met 2 males named Ellis, one who also got called Ellie and I never thought of it as too feminine. But I could also see it being used on a girl. I love the name for a boy, and also love the suggestion of Ellison.

It never occoured to me this would be a male name, I only know one Ellis who is a women. I also think it sounds alot more feminine xx

We have a female pet called Ellis. We knew it was a boy's name, but it just happened like that. That's influenced my thinking now.

Fun fact: Emily Bronte wrote under the name Ellis Bell

I only know males with the name Ellis, so I'd say it's a masculine name. However, I'd never use the nickname Ellie, that is too girly in my opinion!

I think I agree with loraloo in the soft but not Girly comment.

I love it. It was on my list and would be again if I had another boy.

I think it's a male name, my friends boy is called Ellis. I really like it xx

We have a female pet called Ellis. We knew it was a boy's name, but it just happened like that. That's influenced my thinking now.

Fun fact: Emily Bronte wrote under the name Ellis Bell

Yes I read that and thought it was feminine.....I live close to the bronte homeland in Ireland so I'm defo put off using it of a boy lol:blush:

Just read that the bronte sisters used the names as they were boys names, Emily used Ellis, Charlotte used currer and Anne used acton

The only person I know named Ellis is a guy. So I vote manly name

I have an uncle names Ellis, just knowing him makes it seem very masculine

Thanks everyone.

I don't know if DH is convinced but he is coming around to it for a girl so it old be my girl name?? I think it's boy name but suppose its unisex too

I've only ever heard it as a boy's name if I'm honest. It wouldn't cross my mind as being 'girly'! I always think of it as very 'macho' as I had a friend called Ellis in college and he was DEFINATELY all man ;) :haha:

Aww thanks!! I'm trying sooooooo hard to get DH to like it for a boy!!

Th joys of 2 people needing to agree!

Yes I read that and thought it was feminine.....I live close to the bronte homeland in Ireland so I'm defo put off using it of a boy lol:blush:

I might be completely misunderstanding you, but didn't Emily Bronte use it because it was easily recognised as a man's name?!

Yes I think years go female writers got bad reviews so all the bronte sisters used male names as a pseudonym

I just realised that tonight through Wikipedia lol ,.i didn't catch on what I was thinking the other night!! Heads lost lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->