Is feta cheese safe?

babyjan

Mum&expecting#2
Reaction score
I've been craving it and finally found a pasteruised one in tesco so I'm assuming that's ok right?

When I asked my gp weeks ago she told me 'well my husbands Greek so I just ate them'

And there's so much different information online :/

Pasteurized should be fine. I'm not very cautious with soft cheeses personally, because most around me is pasteurized. Never had an issue, but I understand why some people avoid it.

I have eaten pasteurized feta but only when I was craving it ( I do every pregnancy) and things are fine. I wouldn't consume it in large consumptions everyday but once in awhile should be okay.

No idea for sure but I add it to my salad every now and then. Just a few cubes once or twice a week. I'm pretty sure it's pasteurised.

I think it is always pasteurized and does not count as a soft cheese?
Soft cheese like Brie can be eaten heated btw. Baked for example.

That said, I eat raw cheese and dairy products because they are healthier and easier digested. If you purchase from a safe source the risk is pretty much non existent. I would not buy at a deli etc., only packaged and properly sealed/ cooled.

As long as its pasteurized its fine. The stuff i eat is, love fetta.

I am pretty relaxed with food this pregnancy. I don't binge on anything though. I seem to be as happy with a granny smith apple as with a piece of chocolate. If you feel like some feta, go for it. I'm pretty sure its safe.

I don't worry too much about foods and their safety. I would most definitely eat feta cause it is so good! lol

Since I'm Greek, I guess I can tackle this one for you! :thumbup: Feta cheese is generally not considered a soft cheese, so it should be safe. Anything commercial is made from pasteurized milk (Greek law mandates it, or it can't go into shops), so it's safe anyway, and then they let it mature long enough in salt that it would be safe no matter what (there are commercially set standards about how many months it has to mature, etc).

That said, I would advise you to stay away from home-made feta cheese (like if you have anyone willing to give you traditional home-made feta cheese), because it's made from fresh unpasteurized and uncooked milk that is often left to mature less to make it more creamy and tasty. People who know feta cheese can tell the difference because it's softer and more buttery, often less salty too (and really tasty!), but it's wise to stay away just in case.

Long story short, commercial feta cheese is perfectly safe (every single pregnant woman in Greece eats it almost daily), but it might be best to stay away from home-made stuff.

Yes I eat loads of feta cheese in my pregnancy with Jacob as we went to Crete :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->