Is Fluoride doing more harm than good?

pinkpolkadot

Reaction score
I have been meaning to do some reading on Fluoride for ages now and am just now finally getting around to it (but starting to wish I had done earlier!)

I have only just scratched the surface but there is so much conflicting info out there on the use of Fluoride both in our drinking water and in toothpaste.

Just wondered what you guys thought about it, do you follow guidelines and use Fluoride or do you actively avoid it?

One of the things I found particularly interesting is the graph on this page (scroll down a bit) made using WHO stats, showing a general downward trend over time in tooth decay regardless of water fluoridation.

https://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201012/cmselect/cmhealth/1048/1048vw157.htm

Please feel free to post links to related info either way, I would like to do more reading on it and open to all POV :)

The whole fluoride thing really confused me when I first heard about it as one minute it seemed toothpaste with it was bed then the next it seemed toothpaste with it was needed.

Only way I really understood it was it depended what area you lived in as some areas add fluoride to tap water so a toothpaste without it was needed so as not to get too much and other area don't add it so a toothpaste with a small amount was needed to make up for it.
I think it was a case of in the south they don't add it so a small amount in toothpaste was ok but in the north its added so best to use one without.
But that was about as much as I understood of it.

I don't agree with fluoridation of water. It's unnecessary. But I do use a fluoride toothpaste and have had Abby's teeth varnished with a fluoride varnish on advice from her dentist. That's quite enough as far as I'm concerned.

I don't agree with it at all. I've read so much bad stuff about it. I use a non-fluoride toothpaste. I can't do much about it in the water though, but I'd prefer it not to be fluoridated, it's unnecessary.

I'm pro-fluoride ;P My daughter gets daily fluoride drops as prescribed by our doctor and I use a prescription-strength fluoride toothpaste. There is no added fluoride in the water here and I grew up with killer acid reflux which is no bueno on my molars! On the outside my teeth are often described as "perfect," but my dental x-rays say otherwise >_<

Thanks for your replies!

I have white patches on my front teeth and wondered why but it's never been discussed or even pointed out by my dentist, from my recent reading up on fluoride I think it is dental fluorosis!

I remember being given fluoride supplements when I was little I must ask my mum about this...

They removed flouride from our water the year before last, I think?
And lots of dentists in the city are reporting a spike in cavities in children. I will see if I can find the article.

Here it is:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2013/05/16/calgary-fluoride-water-cavities-kids.html

I'm not sure how I feel about it, actually. I haven't been entirely convinced by either side of the argument.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->