Is it easy to learn to sew?

mamas_melon

Reaction score
I'd love to be able to make things for my LO, I'm interested in crafts and I'd like to learn how to use a sewing machine. I haven't used one since school (10 years ago) so i'll be starting from scratch! I did enquire about joining a class in my local area but they're quite expensive and I can't really afford it while on maternity leave.

Is it easy to learn? Does anyone have any tips or advice on this before I buy a machine? Thanks :)

I am in a similar situation to you. I would love to learn how to use a sewing machine and all the other basics, but can't afford the (extraordinary) prices of local schools.

Sorry I can't help you further, but just wanted to show my interest for this thread!

I know I'd love to make things like bibs and clothes for LO, and I'd also like to make a quilt out of his old clothes. A bit optimistic maybe lol!

i would say get onto Pinterest and look at the amount of tutorials on there that people have re-pinned :) i've made all my bedding, curtains and am in the process of doing changemat cover and bumper for carrycot and crib too :)

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v69/idontknowwhentoshutup/bumper1_zps7845d744.jpg
went a bit squint on one bit of orange but that'll be at a wall anyways haha

ok ladies. let me assure you that sewing is rather simple! I taught myself how to use a sewing machine, it's not hard at all, especially nowadays, with the help of youtube, it's super easy. i have achieved quite a bit in just three years, learning by watching videos and reading books, and getting on forums, asking other sewists questions, i mean you would be surprised how supportive, helpful and amazing these ladies can be.

here is my little humble blog, take a look at my earliest projects and compare to what i sew now, if i could do it by myself, you can. https://hkchic.blogspot.com/

I taught myself a few years ago and have found it to be easier than I ever would have thought. I don't make anything too fancy though :D

Online tutorials are great for talking you through it step by step. I started with a simple shopper/tote bag but have since made a variety of bags, curtains, duvet covers, and most recently a mei tei ready for when little one arrives

I taught myself with the help of Pinterest about 2 years ago and now I'm running quite a successful craft business making baby things and keepsake toys and quilts (made from baby clothes etc). to be able to learn you have to love it! If you love it its easy, if you don't it's a slog! Xx

I really adore sewing, I thought thT it is totally difficult, but when I saw a nice dress, I didn't find the necessary size and color, so I had to make up my own one, that was the beginning of my hobby) now I can create ALL I like by myself)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->