Is it ever a problem to ovulate really early?

ElmoBumpToBe

Reaction score
I just wondered if it is ever a negative thing to ovulate early in your cycles?

My cycles are 28 to 32 days long but I ovulate early, I know for a fact with my second son who was a happy accident that I must have ovulated very early as we only had unprotected sex the day I came off my period and sure enough when I had my dating scan I was quite a bit further on than I thought I was just based on the first day of my last period.

This month it was CD 12.

Does this then mean that even though AF isn't due until tomorrow, technically I wouldn't be testing early, because I also ovulated early? Does it work like that? For instance a first response test claims you can test up to 6 days before your missed period, but is this based on a cycle where the woman ovulates on cd14? And if you had ovulated on cd 12 for instance, could you technically test 8 days early?

Even thou the average is to ovulate 14 days before the start of AF, anywhere from 10-16 days is fine. It's only when you ovulate less than 10 days before the start of AF its an issue as far as I know as there isnt enough time to fully implant. In theory testing a bit earlier could work but tbh I personally would just wait. I am not for all this early testing anyway so maybe that's why I feel that way.

The truth is I already did test and it was negative so I guess what I am thinking is did I test early as AF not due until tomorrow or was it not early really because I also ovulated early, basically although I am not due Af till tomorrow I am stil 16dpo and imagine it would definitely have shown x

I think testing after 14dpo wouldn't be considered early since that is typically the day of your period if it's a standard 28 day cycle. And ovulating early really isn't an issue, it's ovulating late that can cause problems with your luteal phase.

Not at all. I got pregnant (ended in ectopic though) when I ovulated at CD10.

WHEN you ovulate doesn't matter so much. Your LP is what matters more which is what some of these ladies are trying to say. It seems to me, based on O day and the shortest cycle you have, that your LP is PROBABLY 16 days. (not sure if you know what LP is, but its the time from ovulation to AF. Its always the same amount of time each cycle. O day might change but LP usually doesn't)

So, when the HPTs are talking about up to 6 days early, they are probably meaning around 8DPO. And again, with my pregnancy, I got a + at 7 DPO.

Anyway, usually its a pretty safe bet to test around 10DPO. It's early but not too terribly early (since implantation typically occurs around 7-9DPO) But 12-14DPO are always a safe bet for testing.

I hope that makes sense??

I think testing after 14dpo wouldn't be considered early since that is typically the day of your period if it's a standard 28 day cycle. And ovulating early really isn't an issue, it's ovulating late that can cause problems with your luteal phase.

I don't think thats true. I have ovulated as early as CD10 and as late as CD45 and my LP is ALWAYS 12 days. LP should almost never change.

I don't think thats true. I have ovulated as early as CD10 and as late as CD45 and my LP is ALWAYS 12 days. LP should almost never change.
not for me. my cycle is between 25 and 28 days and my lp is between 11 and 13 days. I have had four kids so its obviously normal for me.

not for me. my cycle is between 25 and 28 days and my lp is between 11 and 13 days. I have had four kids so its obviously normal for me.

A luteal phase CAN vary one day but it's still going to be in the same ballpark. My guess is that you have a 12day LP like me but sometimes you gain or lose a day?

Either way, the point I was making is that its not going to be only 10 days because you O'd late or be 16 because you O'd early. It should still be the same length every month despite when you O.

My LP has actually been all over the place since I had the mirena removed in November. It's been between 9-14 days. I'm sure the hormonal bc had to do with it as it used to always be 14 before.

Thanks this was really helpful, onto my next cycle now and 12dpo (based on solid smiley and cramps) do you think if I test in the am with a first response that it will be a pretty reliable result? Just its hubby's birthday on Wednesday so I would really like to get the upset over and done with before them (assuming it's negative again) x

Just looked at my ovulation / period tracker and actually Bee you seem to be spot on there, my lp does seem to be 16 or 17 days x

Well, good news is that you now know your LP so you'll know exactly when your period is due each month! (Like for me, on Femara I ovulate different days each month so I find out when AF is due once I ovulate)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->