Is it going to be "unexplained" or "genetic problem"

Beakerange

Reaction score
Hi All,
I can't believe I have only just found this forum (a kind lady at Money Saving Expert pointed me here).
Reading about people like me is just so reassuring that things can work out.
I am 32+4 and my boy will be out in the next 12 days (whenever the consultant says time). His weight is est. as very small 2lb 8oz and although doppler has always come back fine, fluid is dropping and his growth has been very slow since the start. I refused an amnio as I really don't think he is the problem but my management plan for delivery etc mentions genetic testing. This has worried me as could there be soemthing wrong and if so what?
Or are they just presenting "worst case scenario" because they really have never known what the problem is?
Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
Brillant forum - I will be reading with gusto people's experiences in the coming days.

Well, do not worry yourself about what "could" be wrong. But, I know that is easier said than done. I refused all the screenings and had a normal pregnancy up until about 30 weeks. At 30 weeks they told me his femurs were measuring behind and then at 33 weeks, he was measuring behind everywhere and my fluid was low and they knew something was wrong. I had him via emergency c-section at 33+4 and he was 3 lbs 10 oz at birth. He has no genetic problems. Femur length can indicate genetic problems so I had been very worried, but luckily he was fine. His growth restriction was due to a bad placenta, which wasn't discovered until they did the c-section.

So maybe you have a bad placenta and that is why he's not growing as he should. I don't know. It may be that he has some sort of genetic problem, but I hope that is not the case. Either way, I know you will love your baby no matter what. The hardest part is the not knowing and the worrying.

I can't really help on terms of growth etc but what I will say is doctors always tell you worst case scenario. Its to cover them really! I think a lot of is in here have been told the worst 'could-be's for our little ones, but they tend to proove us wrong ;)

Have faith Hun, huge hugs and we are soooo here to help u along the way!!!

I'm the kind lady on MSE (I'm Tigs over there) :D Hiya again Beakerange. You were asking about size, so I've posted another photo over there showing me changing Andrew's bum when he was about 30 weeks (a week after birth).

I've got a thread around here somewhere if you want to know the whole story :)

Welcome :hugs:

Oooh, and we didn't have genetic testing. They know that I had uterine bloodflow problems, but say that it's something that cannot be predicted or (generally) improved.

I think the vast majority tend to be unexplained or poor placenta and babies will catch up in time. We were referred for genetic testing at 11 months of age because he was showing no catch up at all, he maintains his curve but is not on the growth charts yet. It was discovered that he has a microdeletion on one of his chromosomes, it is very very rare and they hadn't come across this particular size deletion before, tests on us revealed that H has the same deletion and although small at birth he wasn't affected as Connor is. In every other way though Connor is a normal boy, the genes missing in him are to do with growth restrictions. He is walking, trying to talk, getting in mischief, has great understanding and has no developmental delays.

Hi, i just wanted you to know that you are not alone, we were told about worst case scenarios as well.,. they are happy with my LO's femur length but her abdomen defo measures small and over all her weight as well, i have low fluid levels as well and will be delivering at anytime ia c-sec when the consultant finds out she is in distress. she will have to be in NICU as well for weeks and they have put it down to unexplained but we were told about genetics as well..

you are not alone :hugs:

Thanks all. In my heart I still think the placenta is the cause. My older boy was also small (5lbs 13oz at 41 weeks) but they never did anything and although he was perfectly healthy the hunch has always been placenta.
I saw the photo Tigs - I was happy and terrified at the same time!!! So small but you seemed to hande him like a pro!
I will find out 2moro morning whether he is coming this week or if I get a reprive and can push it to 34 weeks. I just hope he has put in a bit of weight in the past 2 weeks.
Ax

Fingers crossed for tomorrow morning :kiss:

Oh, and small babies aren't as fragile as they might look!

UPDATE.

The scan went OK, he has actually put on weight (est. 3lbs 2oz).
Have been booked in for a c section next Friday 19th August.
They gave me a sweep as well today???!
It's nice to finally have a plan. I just hope everything is ok with him.

Are they giving you the corticosteroid shots for his lungs? I was only able to get one dose in before they had to take mine, but I really think it made a difference. He never had to be on oxygen at all.

Keep us posted.

I had the steroids at week 31 when his growth suddenly slowed as they thought they would have to act. Never thought to ask where they administered the steroids! :wacko:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->